Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2004, 02:57 AM

Default Heads up situation

Party Poker 3/6

Folded to you on the button, you raise with A8o. SB folds, somewhat decent BB calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB bets out. What's the plan for the rest of the hand and why? Does this change if the flop was rainbow? How about with A3 or A4?
Old 06-20-2004, 03:55 AM

Default Re: Heads up situation

raise.

if the flush gets there on the turn and he checks to you check through and autocall his river bet

if the flush doesn't get there on the turn bet. if he calls your hand is probably best, if he checkraises you might have a fold. it's a tough call, really.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:18 AM

I dunno.....

truth be known, I'm too tight - A8 offsuit doesn't fit in one of the 8 groups S&M define as playable - and in late position, with no callers, I might raise or call, but generally, I don't like these hands....too easy to be dominated -

RB
Old 06-21-2004, 12:10 PM

"raise. (flop)

if the flush gets there on the turn and he checks to you check through and autocall his river bet"

Why does he get credit for a flush on the turn just because it's out there? Him betting out and calling your flop raise means nothing either. Rarely are lead bets folded here when raised.

Raise the flop and auto bet the turn. No free cards here. You've got TP and it's h/u. Bet until he, and not the board, gives you a reason not to. If on the river you feel there's no chance of him calling a value bet, then ch it down.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:42 PM

If the BB is decent, he just told you he has one of 1)an ace (or possibly 2p+), 2)a flush draw or 3)a bluff since he knows you know he's decent and might defend an A etc. (The 'bluff' category also includes hands like KT.) Keep in mind that if he had anything really good, he'd probably 3 bet preflop.

So, since you're not going to get a better hand to fold but he'll fold on a bluff, why raise the flop? You'll get 1 extra SB from him if he's holding two clubs (but if he's holding Kx [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], you're actually behind and he'll 3 bet you here, a situation you don't want to be in), but he'll likely fold the river unimproved. You'll get an extra 1 SB from a weaker ace, too, but if he's holding a better ace, you'll get checkraised on the turn when you want to show it down. (Consider the chance that he holds A5, against which you have lots of outs to split, or even an aggressively played A7.) No, I really don't like this at all.

What I would do here (not every time, but very often) is call every street and value bet the river if checked to. If two more blanks come, I might also value raise the river and consider folding to a 3 bet. Let him bet the second best hand at me; why not?