Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 09-21-2005, 10:25 PM

Default Cold-Call 99 in MP3- weak post flop?

Villian is new to the table so I don't have any definitive reads. As for the players behind me, they're loose pre-flop and have been cold-calling many raises so my cold-call was in the spirit of bringing them along.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
[color=#CC3333]UTG raises</font>, [color=#666666]3 folds</font>, Hero calls, [color=#666666]4 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
UTG checks, [color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

This is where I have a problem. Granted, Villain can have any two cards here, but with no reads, I'm giving him something like JJ-AA, and high cards. He called my flop bet which can mean just about anything, but lately it means over pair to the flop and/or set.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 3.75 BB

Anyone bet the turn or river? What if I get c/r? Would you call down or fold if no over cards came?
Old 09-21-2005, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Cold-Call 99 in MP3- weak post flop?

[ QUOTE ]
He called my flop bet which can mean just about anything, but lately it means over pair to the flop and/or set.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

He probably has 2 over cards.
Bet the turn at least. I'm also 3 betting preflop.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:42 PM

I didn't 3-bet pre-flop because I didn't want to push the loose/passives behind me out. My main goal in the hand was to hit a set because villian was an unknown. If I had more information on his PF starting selection, I would have raised this with a read.

What do I do if I'm c/r on the turn? The pot is small and really not worth going to war for, but seeing a free river card which could potentially make me a set seemed like a good idea at the time. I didn't bet the river because I figured I'm only getting called by a better hand.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:43 PM

There's quite a bit more hands to raise with UTG than just AA-JJ. Don't forget AQ+ and AJs+. Also, many people like to limp with AA-KK UTG hoping to 3 bet a late position raiser.

If you have a particular read that UTG is super-tight, then I don't mind the turn check. But, I'd bet that river. Maybe this is weak, not sure. I think a better line is to bet the turn hoping for a call by 2 overcards, and to fire again on the river. I might fold to a turn raise, but again, that may be weak.

Looking forward to other responses.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:59 PM

I personally would have at least bet the river after he checked to me. If he was trying to hit you with a c/r on the turn, I doubt he would try it again on the river especially if he thought he had a winning hand....

HADES18
Old 09-21-2005, 11:07 PM

this hand is pretty poor all together.

3bet pf, even terrible players have trouble calling 3 bets, and we dont want Ax, Kx, etc coming along.

Bet the flop, good. The one thing you did right. Him calling means he has overcards and is very weak, since he ought to lead this flop w/ anything. bet the turn, he has nothing. 1/2 the time he'll call w/ overs and the other half of the time you'll take the pot. Bet the river. Most of the time he folds, every now an then he'll call w/ his A high.

By my count, you cost yourself between 1.5-2.5 bets on this hand.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:12 PM

I usually find it suspicious when the preflop raiser checks on the flop HU. It often means a set, but it can also mean unimproved overcards.

I would bet the flop and fold to a check raise (the check raise bluff in this spot is too rare to worry about it).

I would definitely bet the turn again and fold to a check raise, as I think someone who would be willing to check raise semi bluff in this spot would also keep the lead on the flop.

I bet the river and call a raise.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:13 PM

Isn't 3-betting an UTG raiser with no read marginal?

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 42.4039 % 42.20% 00.20% { 99 }
Hand 2: 57.5961 % 57.39% 00.20% { TT+, ATs+, KJs+, AQo+, KQo }

How do you extend UTG's raise to make us the favorite?
Old 09-21-2005, 11:16 PM

I bet on every street
Old 09-21-2005, 11:18 PM

I think pocket 9s are too good to play just for a set value. I'd reraise preflop and try to isolate.