Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 06:14 PM

Default WSOP 2005

Hi there I just have a few questions related to the 2004 WSOP and the 2005 WSOP if you cant answer them all don't worry just do your best. Id be very grateful:

1) How many runners were in the 2004 WSOP
2) How many runners do you think will be in the 2005 WSOP
3) Why is the WSOP 2005 held at the RIO and not Binions, is the final table still held at Binions??
4) Do you think a pro will ever win the WSOP again? whats your reason behind the answer??
5) I've heard people mention the entry fee may go up from $10,000 to ??????, do you think it should go up???
6) Do you really believe the winner of the WSOP is the best player in the World?
7) Please guess which pro you think has the best chance of winning the WSOP 2005 or at least making the final table?
8) How many days will the 2005 WSOP Main Event last for ?? and what do you think it takes to maintain great poker throughout the event..?
9) If you had $10k would you rather play the Main event or some of the smaller tournaments with less runners?
10) If you won the 2005 WSOP would you say it was through Poker Stars lol, oh and do you think this years winner will be from Poker Stars??

Sorry for so many questions, Id really like to know your opinions.

John
Old 04-11-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: WSOP 2005

Gonna just answer the ones I have a clue about...

2. I heard 4k is what they're expecting. I dont think they know for sure until all the qualifiers are done.

3. Binions isnt big enough? Probably it will all be at the rio

4. Sure, anyone could win. Pros just have it harder b/c everyone gets to study them on TV. It's a lot harder to read some donk you've never seen before than say some pro you know is a really tight player who only plays blah blah in this part of the tourney.

5. It might, and probably should. It's supposed to be the best of the best at the world series, I wouldn't mind some thinning of the field. Then again, there are some old skool purists who say that anyone should be able to walk into the place and win. I wouldn't mind if they made it so you can only get in thru qualifying thru some event, after all, its supposed to be the best of the best.

6. No, but whoever he/she is, is damn good. There's so much luck/chance involved it's really hard to say they're the *best* player in the world, more like they're among the best.

7. Lederer, he's due, and he's my hero. i *heart* Lederer

8. The WSOP prize packages are 10 nights in a hotel, but it probably won't last that long. Focus, you either have it or don't.

9. Main event, that's where all the chicks are.

10. I'd say whatever web site I won it from. They had (I thought I heard) the entire final table last year. There's a good track record there... Party isn't helping itself this year by giving roughly equivelent packages
Old 04-11-2005, 07:11 PM

1. 2100+
2. 6K
3. Rio is much bigger.
4. TV time has very very very little to do with why a pro won't win. A pro won't win because amateurs outnumber pros.
5. THey have talked about making it 25K
6. No, it means for a week they had the best combination of skill/luck.
7. Negreanu had the best year last year. Juanda is a big favorite. Way to many to list.
8. Most packages are 10 nights.
9. Main event for sure.
10. There is a good chance. Most of the best tournament players online come from Party or Stars. Most of the "big name" internet guys are coming from Stars. They also give out more seats than any other site.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:29 PM

'Stars didn't have the 'entire table', but they had quite a few. At least 3 (Williams, Raymer and ... uh, that other dude).

Makes some sense when you consider they had about over 10% of the playing field.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:53 PM

Mathematical odds is very important in Poker.
I believe Majority WSOP players are not pros.
So it is very unlikely a Pro will win the WSOP this year.
I believe 20% of players have the skill to win. But only one
(out of 6000?) will win. So luck is very important.

Last year, Pokerstars send about 360 players to WSOP
(out of a total of about 2800).
They got about 4 people made the final table.
They did better job percentagewise because Pokerstars sent really good players.

I like to play tourneys at Pokerstars. Their software and game setting are much better than Party. They also offer better competition than Party tourneys.

I won't feel surprised if Pokerstars put more people at the WSOP final table this year than any other online poker site.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:13 PM

Runners?

2576 Players in WSOP Main Event 2004

#2 Guessing 8069

#3 Binion's is not owned by them, they bought the WSOP and Horseshoe name, not Binion's itself.

#4 Of course a pro will win it again, #'s game, eventually Dan Harrington will have to win again, LOL!

#5 Entry amount won't change things that much, since so many get in via sats anyhow.

#6 Hell no, just the best/luckiest player that given week.

#7 Dan Harrington

#8 5 days, maybe 6 if they have too many players.

#9 I'd stick the 10G's in my checking account.

#10 I prefer live sat's so NO to part a, and going with NO to part b.

Once this event gets way too big, they will have to change the format IMO.

Then again in 10 years, the entrant #'s may revert back to under 1000.

>TW<
Old 04-11-2005, 08:23 PM

I am surprised anyone took the time to answer this. You are better than I.
~Justin
Old 04-11-2005, 09:51 PM

We couldn't all win our seat for free Justin. Jeez.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi there I just have a few questions related to the 2004 WSOP and the 2005 WSOP if you cant answer them all don't worry just do your best. Id be very grateful:

1) How many runners were in the 2004 WSOP
2) How many runners do you think will be in the 2005 WSOP
3) Why is the WSOP 2005 held at the RIO and not Binions, is the final table still held at Binions??
4) Do you think a pro will ever win the WSOP again? whats your reason behind the answer??
5) I've heard people mention the entry fee may go up from $10,000 to ??????, do you think it should go up???
6) Do you really believe the winner of the WSOP is the best player in the World?
7) Please guess which pro you think has the best chance of winning the WSOP 2005 or at least making the final table?
8) How many days will the 2005 WSOP Main Event last for ?? and what do you think it takes to maintain great poker throughout the event..?
9) If you had $10k would you rather play the Main event or some of the smaller tournaments with less runners?
10) If you won the 2005 WSOP would you say it was through Poker Stars lol, oh and do you think this years winner will be from Poker Stars??

Sorry for so many questions, Id really like to know your opinions.

John

[/ QUOTE ]

1. 2,576
2. I heard they were going to limit it to 5,000 due to space. If that is the case, it will fill up.
3. The Rio has more space. The final two days will be still be at Binions.
4. Yes, eventually it will happen. Eventually a woman will win also.
5. I think they should make it 50,000. That way it will have the prestige that it used to have when only a select few could afford the buyin.
6. Only if Phil Ivey wins.
7. Ivey
8. 7 days
9. Main event for sure.
10. No
Old 04-11-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We couldn't all win our seat for free Justin. Jeez.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just a lot of questions, thats all.
~Justin