Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 06:43 PM

Default jamming quads.

5-5 NL, 8-handed.

game is being played very loose and fairly aggressive. i am playing every other hand from every position because only two of the other players are even remotely solid post-flop.

hand is live-straddled to $10.
dealt 10-10 and open-limp in 2nd position with ~$1300 behind.

another limper comes along and then cutoff raises to $50. blinds and straddler fold. i call. other limper folds.

surprisingly going to the flop heads up. villian has me barely covered and is one of the solid winning players. i am not happy to be playing a pot with him out of position, and i am sure he is not happy to be heads up with me, as the table was pretty much donkeys.

but i am happy when the flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]-10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]-10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. (pot: $130)

i lead for $90. he raises to $300. i call.

turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (pot: $730)

i lead all-in for ~ $950.

thoughts?
Old 07-18-2005, 06:47 PM

Default Re: jamming quads.

It looks good to me. Maybe lead a weak bet on the turn, hoping for him to raise you. I would hope for him to try to raise you out on the turn with something like KsQs. You just don't want a draw to get to the river for free and miss. Either push on the turn, or lead for a weak bet ($300-400).

ChewyMint
Old 07-18-2005, 06:48 PM

Perhaps I dont think on the highest level, but this seems terrible... Let him jam with his AK.. if it checks through on the turn THEN you can jam it on the river
Old 07-18-2005, 06:56 PM

"villian has me barely covered and is one of the solid winning players."

He's not stacking off without AA here unless you are lag enough to make this play with a draw.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:01 PM

I like weak lead here much better. It will look like you are trying to block and he may jam it up. Even if he just calls with AK, pot will be over $1000 and he will have a tough time getting away. If he has draw, he will call. When you push, the draw will fold. I think weak, lead all-in is better in long-run most times unless you have the correct image and playing almost every hand is not a good one for this spot because it is too easy for him to put you on a ten.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:41 PM

If you are going to bet the turn, make sure to give him odds to draw for a flush. Betting 300-350 may be best.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:01 PM

i did not think it was likely enough he was semi-bluffing a flush when he raised me on the flop, hence not being concerned about 'pricing him out' of a draw that is dead.

results shortly, as i am curious what a few others think.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:22 PM

Wow, am I the only one who checks the turn here, I like the lead on the flop, when he raises, I probably act like I have a draw and debate whether or not to call. Afterwards, a turn check-raise here seems logical, why the lead?
Old 07-18-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5-5 NL, 8-handed.

game is being played very loose and fairly aggressive. i am playing every other hand from every position because only two of the other players are even remotely solid post-flop.

hand is live-straddled to $10.
dealt 10-10 and open-limp in 2nd position with ~$1300 behind.

another limper comes along and then cutoff raises to $50. blinds and straddler fold. i call. other limper folds.

surprisingly going to the flop heads up. villian has me barely covered and is one of the solid winning players. i am not happy to be playing a pot with him out of position, and i am sure he is not happy to be heads up with me, as the table was pretty much donkeys.

but i am happy when the flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]-10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]-10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. (pot: $130)

i lead for $90. he raises to $300. i call.

turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (pot: $730)

i lead all-in for ~ $950.

thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

if villain has just one ace, how often will he call here? will he check behind on the turn with AK if you check? you say he doesn't have a draw. the only real hands to put him on then are big ace and AA. if he's got AA, we don't need to worry about the money going in. if he's just got a big ace, you are letting him get away from the hand too easily, i think.

on the other hand, any type of turn lead is going to look scary. so maybe a turn push is the least suspicious bet size for you to make here. you've been in a lot of pots, so you could easily have a ten, but you could also have something like QJs here. a push certainly can look more like the latter coming from certain players.

i think the success of this type of play has much more to do with your history against this player than anything else. i'm guessing you must have had some reason for believing this line was best. hope it worked out.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:34 PM

When you pushed on the turn, what hands did you expect a "solid player" to call with? Obviously AA would be there in an instant, but what about AK or AQ? Most good players would/should be able to lay that hand down for virtually their entire stack...especially if he has respect for you vs. the other donkeys.

IMO, villain raised on the flop for information. KK/QQ sounds reasonable. He just wanted to make sure he wasn't being outplayed and mucking the better hand. But if he did have AK/AQs, then that's exactly why I wouldn't have pushed on the turn. Because you didn't give him a chance to bleed away any more chips.

Check the turn and see what he does. If he checks behind, then go ahead and push on the river to make it seem like you're trying to buy the pot. And if he bets, then it's an easy c/r. Or just call and lead on the river. Doesn't matter at that point, because most of the money is in the middle.

It's a shame you got trigger-happy one street too early.