Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 03:47 AM

Default I\'m a NL ring player, please help me get started with tourneys

I'm a NL100 player (attempting to move up to NL200 ATM) and I wish to play some tourneys as well. In the past, I've had success with SNGs and multi-tables, but I haven't taken it very seriously. My goal is partake in the super tourneys on Party and do well. The best I've done in the past is a 5+1 tourney, I came in 4th out of 1400 I believe (it was a while ago). I know that's hardly an accomplishment, but it's my personal best from limited experience.

Anyway, I'd like you seasoned MTTers to help me get started and point me in the right direction. What are the bankroll requirements for tourneys (assuming of course one is a winning player)? What books should I read? (I've got numerous books on limit and NL, but none really that apply to specific tournament tactics) What is needed to become a successful tourney player?

Thanks a lot guys. I know you folks probably get a lot of threads like this, so just bear with me. The limit and no-limit forums have been of great help to me in the past, and I doubt that'll change here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: Just FYI, I wanna play tourneys not only because of the potential cash rewards, but because I think it's the most exciting poker. When I played SNGs and MTTs in the past, it was just plain fun and exciting to make it far and win some cash. Making the final table of the 5+1 was some of the most fun I've had playing poker. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: I\'m a NL ring player, please help me get started with tourneys

*bump*
Old 07-13-2005, 11:10 PM

Default Re: I\'m a NL ring player, please help me get started with tourneys

You are not getting replies because this topic has been discussed a few times before. Do a search.

Read "Harrington on Holdem", particularly volume 2, which deals with shallow money issues which are different from cash games.

Do a search of this forum for posts by Greg (Fossilman) in the last 3 years. He hasn't posted much on strategy since May 2004.

You don't need a real deep bankroll if you are good. However, you are playing to make final table or top 3 finishes, which is your real source of winnings, so there is a lot of variance.

The main differences with cash play is that late in tournaments hands are mostly decided preflop and shallow money requires a number of adjustments.