Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Bad Swings / Variance

People say that from time to time you hit bad swings where you can drop 300 BBs.

Does BBs refer to big blinds or big bets? If 300 BBs refers to big bets, then how does that apply to no-limit?

Is there another indicator of running bad for NL, such dropping X number of buy ins? If so, what would that X be?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Bad Swings / Variance

[ QUOTE ]
Does BBs refer to big blinds or big bets?

[/ QUOTE ]

Big bets.

[ QUOTE ]
If 300 BBs refers to big bets, then how does that apply to no-limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't.

[ QUOTE ]
Is there another indicator of running bad for NL, such dropping X number of buy ins? If so, what would that X be?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've dropped 7 in a day before, I'd say that's about as high as it gets in one session, depending on how many hands you're playing obviously. Dropping 20+ buyins is possible over a longer spell.

If either of these happens it's probably best to take at least 4 or 5 days off and perhaps drop down in limits to regain your confidence.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:07 PM

So I guess you know you're running bad when you drop more than... 5 buy ins?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:30 PM

It depends on a lot of things. It wouldn't be that unusual to drop 3-4 buyins and get back to 0 before the session end.

The best way to figure out if you're running bad is analyse the key hands from each session, and see how you got the money in.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:52 PM

The most buy ins I've lost in a session (1 day of playing online) was 9. It was just one of those days, flop top set, get all in lose to flush. AA runs into set. Flop nut flush, lose to set that fills. What's important to realize is that in many cases you are not the huge fav your hand appears to be where it can't lose. So losing several times where your 65/35 or 70/30 is a real possibility. What's key is to not think, "I'm running bad, oh well." I feel it's better to think, "I'm running bad, .. or am I? Let's review some hands, did I really play that right or am I on tilt? What was I trying to make him fold? Why did I not value bet that? etc."

So, if you drop a bunch of buy ins, just check yourself. Most likely your on a little bit of tilt, take a break. Being on tilt is like drinking and driving.. just seemed like an ok thing at the time. Anyways, I hope that helps.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I guess you know you're running bad when you drop more than... 5 buy ins?

[/ QUOTE ]

NL is much easier then L to analyze if you are running or playing bad.

what situation did you lose your stack. that is what matters.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:47 PM

I once lost 6 buy ins in 3 hours at NL600 at Party (although with a luckbox maniac at the table) and, 4 hours LATER ended the 7-hour session +1/2 buyin.

HEK
Old 06-21-2005, 04:52 PM

One time on party i cleared 3 bonuses in one night playing 100 nl
I played 1900 raked
Through 1400 hands I was down nearly 900
I ended up being up about 400
I basically had a maniac at each table and early on I was losing AA vs 10 j all in preflop and even lost a KK with 74 preflop so I think the swings also depend on the type of game you are playing. Normally being down 9 buyins and then making up 13 would mean I was playing like a maniac, but that wasnt the case hear.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:40 PM

Well, this post is perfect timing for me. Been running extremely cold recently. Had my first trip to Vegas this past weekend. Within 2 hours playing 2/5 $200 buy-in NL at Bellagio I built up to about $600. Picked up KK in the SB to an aggressive player raising big from cutoff only to find out at the end of the hand he had AA and cleaned me out. Dropped 700 that night. The next day I go on another huge run, get KK to another aggressive player who shows me AA and takes 500+ off me. Lost another $600 pot to KK getting rivered all in to a flush. Ended the trip +$200 on the tables so it wasn't all that bad.

But yesterday my first day back online, I dropped a record 7 buy-ins with a combination of running bad, bad beats, and tilted play. Glad to see I'm not the only one... again. Anyways, hope to swing back up in the near future. Just thought I'd vent to get it out of my system a bit.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:48 PM

early last semester i was three tabling 6 max NL100 and i dropped 7 buyins in 2-3 hours. this is the worst i've run, but it's to be expected if you're a good LAG. people at those limits think "durrr he can't have something every time, i'll call," and obviously sometimes they outdraw you. i agree with yeti's advice that you should take some time off b/c it's really difficult to avoid the mindset of essentially "playing catch-up." i'm driven off my A game when i continuously think "ugggg i gotta make so much back," which results in rushing hands and making foolish decisions. seriously, strongly consider the advice to take time off...whether you're conscious of it or not, i'm sure that running horribly in a quick period of time influences your play quite negatively.