Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 12-09-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Need something more suitable for online play than SSHE

I did a quick search, and it appears that it is heresay to speak against SSHE. And I agree, of what few books I've read on poker ... it's one of the finest.

Even this fool can see that.

Nonetheless, the book is geared to crushing loose, multiway pots.

6-8 players seeing the flop?

I've NEVER seen this, and I started at .5/1 online.

3-5 players as tight?

Not a chance, at most three will see the flop. That's when you're lucky.

Now, admittedly, there are a couple of pages on small pots ... but that's about it.

What I need is a book that addreses tight, aggressive play where about 2-3 people are seeing the flop. Something that covers blind stealing, defence, small pots, and any other relevant topics for todays online environment.

HEPFAP ... maybe?

Some of the most relevant info I've come across recently actually came from some articles by Abdul. In particular ... open raising any playable hand in tight games when doing so might get you the blinds.

Something so simple and obvious, but missing in SSHE.

Thanks guys,
Zim

(I'm currently playing 2/4 on the pokkerroom network.)

(ps Never played Party ... are the games looser there?)
Old 12-09-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Need something more suitable for online play than SSHE

If its true that 3 players to the flop is a rare event at pokerroom I am never going to play there.

Sounds like you should read HEPFAP, although I think that some other concepts in SSHE are useful too.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:02 AM

wow. you'll probably flamed by the "know it alls"....

but my recent experience has been the same as you. i signed up for the most popular poker site in the world, and i was shocked (dumb-founded in fact) by how tight the games were.

i came from a sports betting site with poker. very few bonuses, poker tracker doesn't work, lots of europeans, and this led to alot softer games (4-5 pre-flop) but no huge availability. i've since gone back to the softer site, albeit with no bonuses.

we had a very similar thread to this recently. i seem to recall MLP by ciaffone and i recommended matt maroon's book (very cheap). even hellmuth's stuff is pretty good for tight games. and obviously sklansky's stuff.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:06 AM

At Party, the 2-4 tables are rarely like this. While you don't have the California style everyone sees the flop type game, you often get four-six players to a flop. Also, even when the games are tight the players are often bad and you can ratchet up your aggression and read their response well enough to either steal or get them to loosen up.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:13 AM

You might like King Yao's Weighing the Odds in Hold'em. Especially as it has the best in-print advice on 6-max tables. Which is where much of the fish has gone. This is especially obvious on Party, where the introduction of short tables at 3/6 pretty much killed full ring games.

All in all I think 10-handed hold'em is a dying beast, atleast online.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:14 AM

MRBAA, i was talking about party when i mentioned really tight games... but i think you are correct that it takes a big adjustment in your play (tighten up huge early-mid, get aggressive, and play position hard) ... but i would question how profitable it can be when there is seldom very much money in the center of the table (i think that's why they have the bonuses - it's sort of a rake kickback) ... but just each of our opinions, and i didn't spend alot of time at party (although they just gave me some $$$$, they probably felt sorry for how fast i lost my initial $$$$$)
Old 12-09-2005, 11:25 AM

the starting hand chart in Internet Texas Hold Em by Matthew Hilger might be more to your taste. it's a little tighter than SSHE in early and middle position, and it specifies how many limpers are recommended before coming in with borderline hands, as well as how to play against a raise.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You might like King Yao's Weighing the Odds in Hold'em. Especially as it has the best in-print advice on 6-max tables. Which is where much of the fish has gone. This is especially obvious on Party, where the introduction of short tables at 3/6 pretty much killed full ring games.

All in all I think 10-handed hold'em is a dying beast, atleast online.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. 10-handed limit does seem to be dying... and i think the "fishier" creatures have gone to shorthanded and no-limit (and unfortunately the shorthanded is more suited to their fishiness - they improve by accident).

i agree that yao king is the only book i know that really gets into the essence of shorthanded play the way it's played these days (sklansky and matt maroon both have good shorthanded sections too).
Old 12-09-2005, 12:20 PM

I think the full party 2-4 games are still very good. I rarely sit in one with enough strong players to make me want to move. Just because players don't spew chips or bluff like maniacs doesn't mean they are solid by any means.

btw, I'm the co-author of The Pocket Idiot's Guide to Texas Hold'em, which is mainly a beginner book. However it was written to be useful to intermediate players as well. I'd certainly think that anyone who had read and understood it fully would be able to beat a "typical" Party 2-4 game.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and i think the "fishier" creatures have gone to shorthanded and no-limit (and unfortunately the shorthanded is more suited to their fishiness - they improve by accident).

[/ QUOTE ]

While this thought certainly sounds logical enough, and Malmuth&Sklansky advocate it in HEFAP, it isn't so when we look at the empirical data.

People on the HUSH forum here have higher win rates than people who play similar limits full handed. Of the people I know and have had the opportunity to dive into their PT databases this also seems to always be the case. I for one have a higher win rate short handed and have played enough hands both full and short to know it's a significant (in the statistical sense) difference.

While you have to loosen up, thus seemingly erasing a bit of the gap between you and the fish, the fact that you get so much more quality time with each fish apparently overwhelms this. You get to milk the little buggers for all their worth.