Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 01:48 PM

Default PLO8 Online Cash Games (Research & Review)

Here is the research I promised on my experiment with PLO8.

I'm not going to copy and paste it all here because it is so long. I'll just provide links. I have no ads on my site, so don't assume I'm trying to lure you there, lol [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Part One
Part Two

Hope this helps someone out!

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: PLO8 Online Cash Games (Research & Review)

Felicia,

This looks interesting, thanks for sharing it.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:51 AM

Felicia,

Congrats to 2+2 for making you a moderator. The Omaha/8 forum will be a much better forum under your watchful eye!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hope this helps someone out!

[/ QUOTE ]

Most neato.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:31 AM

Full Tilt's PLO8 and NLO8 games seem very live, I'll play a little more this week and let ya know [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically my problem is that I didn't like it enough to seek out good games. And that is the krux with PLO8. Good games are fleeting and sometimes tough to find. It is a situation of constantly hitting & running. Table selection is of utmost importance. Playing for hours got too frustrating for me, because I was constantly having to seek out good games, on different sites. A game would start out great, with over 75% seeing the flop, and large pots for the buy-in, then quickly become unplayable (like within 5-15 minutes

[/ QUOTE ]

Just not true. As someone who has played the games daily for a good 4 years online I disagree strongly. Bad players do not often know they are bad, instead they see themselves as "unlucky". It was unlucky that someone had ace high flush, it was unlucky that they missed their big draw to half a pot, it was unlucky they won a quarter. These players rebuy a lot, so long as no-one is out there to give them a rubdown when they do get lucky.
Staying at the same table is indeed the secret, by accumulating a large stack you skew the pot size average for the table. On the times I've made 15x original buyin, and start shoving, the pot average can reach 4x the usual. This brings good and bad alike to the table all wanting some of the action, but more importantly they all believe it's a loose table. When the table is loose, you have to loosen up also......
Sitting in the same game for hours is great, if you stick to party poker this is quite managable.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the time I try to keep the pot small early. The biggest mistake that I see in these micro-blind games is opponents who try to make the pot huge with a hand that is sure to be beat by the river, or split, at best. He is risking everything to get his money back or less.

[/ QUOTE ]
More hog wash. Micro limits is not a good reflection as it's "only $25" to players.
When I sit in say a $400 game you get players who join, and do not want or cannot afford to lose $400. These are the players you can take advantage of the most.
You have to learn to shove coin flips. Any hand where you are 50/50 to win on the flop or turn you should shove, because there is always increased EV from your opponent folding.
You get very few opportunities to "milk" players at plo8. If you start betting small because you will earn money by getting lots of callers with your draw, then someone will pot bet it behind you and destroy those odds. Betting small is a sure sign of weakness or someone on a draw, and players will make moves on you.
I believe the reason you are having to move tables is players aren't paying you off as you hope, and are realising the person sat in that seat is a rock and isn't "gambling". If you make big bets, then you will find players start thinking "bullshit" and call you down. Also you probably never bluff, and at $25 that's probably correct, but at the higher limits you have to , as most pots get heads up and neither player will have anything. In 4 years I have rarely found a PLO8 game I can't beat. So long as you are dynamic and can adapt to the players around you, they can never stereotype you successfully.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:04 PM

Thanks, Jim!
Old 08-03-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From Steve Bagder

PLO8 is not a game to focus a lot of your longterm attention on as a player because if any game is NOT the game of the future, this is it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was kinda interesting, anyone else feel like PLO8 is dead or dying?
Old 08-03-2005, 02:13 PM

This was extremely, EXtremely limited research. I don't remember how much of it I put in the two posts, but I literally only played at three sites, the very smallest tables, and only for four days, I believe.

At the time I was really sick, trying to get over the mastectomy and starting chemo.

Party wasn't even a site I checked out, lol. I believe it was just UB, Stars and FTP.

I was trying to pass the time and literally banged this out with a very narrow vision. Not because I was trying to lead anyone astray, but because it was a goal I was set to achieve. I tried to make it really clear that this was a tiny experiment on my part.

I have since found some other websites with PLO8 strategy, as well as played some 2-table SNG's and MTT's. So I have opened up a little, but not enough to write another post.

I don't feel that I have the correct strategy perfected, but since it is enjoyable for me, I'm going to work on it.

When you read those two posts, just remember they were coming from a newbie, who was extremely impatient and frustrated at the time. I tried to make it very clear that my opinions were subjective and extremely biased! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]