Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 12-05-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Re: SSH and Utility: The Case for the Terrible 20

i like this Zim guy! good post and enjoyable discussion.

i also like dashes.
-----------------------------------------------
i've heard similar arguments made for just the top 10 hands. if you think that you can only make money against idiots with this type of strategy, i say exactly!! that's who we're talking about here. you would be surprised how many players would never figure it out and continue to reraise you with J9s.

i think you could play only the top 10 hands and always rasie with them regardless of position and show a small profit at low limits.

------------------------------------------------
all of that said, it would not be a maximal strategy.(it might be close to optiaml though.)

if we go any further into strategy we have to discuss LAG vs. TAG. your top 20 played well would be a pretty good TAG strategy. TAG is the easiest way to play well. however, an equally well played LAGish strategy will be more profitable. the catch is playing a good LAG game is very hard, where as a good TAG game isn't to hard to manage.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's rather fun to spot all the bad play. I mean, really bad. Capping the bets preflop with 94o kinda bad.

(he, naturally, flopped a straight)

[/ QUOTE ]

If he flopped a str8 with 94o, it's certainly a bad play. <Sklansky> Do you see why? </Sklansky>
Old 12-06-2005, 05:48 AM

The problem with this strategy is that you would be classified as tight by the players at the table, and anytime you got one of your premium hands, the table weould likely not give you any action.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:12 AM

Hmm ...

Aside from the obvious (capping with a hand that will return fractions of your original investment, over the long term), I'm not quite sure.

Oh geez, I just noticed it.

Zim hangs his head in shame.

95o

Honest.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Cheers!

Man, that's a cool post. Speaks on many levels, huh?

But one flaw:

The great ferret writes:

"All of this is assuming that your opponents are clinically alive and have at least one sensory organ functioning."

This might be granting too much credit to the typical Party low limit player. Actually, I have wandered if the lower levels are made up of bots, for the most part. I've seen some rather peculiar plays ...

Much appreciated. A post I'll revisit often in the future.

Best,
Zim
Old 12-06-2005, 06:24 AM

"i think you could play only the top 10 hands and always rasie with them regardless of position and show a small profit at low limits."

I remember I had mentioned this way back in the day, but I was directed to NL.

Ed then publishes *my* sacred ultra-tight strategy for the world to see ... but, truth be told, I never found it to be terribly profitable.

Limit is a new arena for me, tho', and I am curious to know if anyone actually has tried ultra-tight at low limits. Perhaps I should experiment tomorrow, just for fun.

But now, off to the Poker room, got SSH in my hand ... and I feel like losing lots of cash check raising the flop on all my draws.

Best,
Zim