Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2004, 12:22 PM

Default advice please on strategy

Hi all,
I usually play Omaha HiLo - I think that's one of the reasons I am asking for help here. I like to be choosy with my hands, and basically all Hold em strategy books I've read say to play premium hands, etc - but the past couple of times I've played I am getting screwed big time by players who seem either really gutsy or crazy, or is this how you play the game.....
My situation seems to be like this: if I get the nut cards, I can bet to win (who doesnt'?) but it's manipulating mediocre or questionable cards which seems to be a problem.
I'm playing live 4/8 - I do pay attention to the other players to get a feeling for how they will bet and what they will raise on. I will play pairs, suited connectors, or obviously high cards. I usually throw away a high card with a low kicker unless I'm really bored. If the flop doesn't fit, or if I just make a lower pair and others are betting, I will usually fold. This is where I seem to differ with the other players.
These others are staying in with any sort of matched pair, they then seem to win and I sit there realizing that my crummy overpair/underpair would have won (for instance, I have folded with a pair of tens when there are a Q, A, or K there and others are betting and then the other player wins with a pair of sevens). Of course this doesn't always happen, but enough. I did try it their way a couple of times, but of course those times I lost anyway.
I don't get it. I feel like my mindset is too much being aware of the nuts as you have to be in Omaha - but on the other hand I'm not sure. So, help! (please)
For an example, I had a Q,2suited spades on the BB. Checked to stay in and the flop had a Q as high card. It also had 2 clubs and a 10. I called - the turn was a 8c - I was going to fold but the guy next to me who was out of the hand said NO! (since we had been talking about all of this) and the guy on the other side said "RAISE" - so for the fun of it, I did. Even though there was now a possible straight and flush out there of which I had none. Well, the other player called my raise and won with a higher kicker - he didn't have a straight or flush himself and still called my raise, which in my opinion I should never have made. So I lost on that hand. See what I mean? I am having trouble understanding how these people are playing. He had a QJnonsuited, I only had a Q which I was only playing because I was the BB -
Would you guys say these players are playing the way you "should" play Holdem, is it the low limit, or what?
By the way, this is just seeming to happen lately, I've played No Limit and done well - and played other times in the past and done well, but now I'm wondering what the heck is going on - which is the oddity, the times I did well or the way it is now?
thanks in advance,

Bodie
Old 12-01-2004, 12:47 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!
Default Re: advice please on strategy

Welcome to small stakes hold'em.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:59 PM

They play -EV. Have you read Small Stakes Hold'em by Sklansky, Malmuth and Miller? If not then read [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2004, 05:27 PM

thanks offsoot and wuarhg for your responses.
I actually just did order that book and expect it to arrive any day.
So, offsoot, if this is small stakes hold em, at which level do you think it changes?