Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 04:22 AM

Default My nine makes a straight, so lets cap the turn...

2/4 live. Hero had to kick five empty racks out from under his chair to sit down. Button hadn't been playing too many hands, but had shown down a few really strange ones for a relatively tight player, like 32o UTG. SB was a total LAG. Everyone else in the hand is a fairly typical low-limit fish.

Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in MP2. The table is 10-handed.

UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, button calls, <font color="red">SB raises</font>, BB folds, and everyone else calls.

Flop (6 players, 13 SB): 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">button bets</font>, SB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, button calls.

Turn (6 players, 9.5 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, <font color="red">button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="red">Hero 4-bets</font>, <font color="red">button caps at 5-bets</font>, SB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River (4 players, 31.5 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">button bets</font>, SB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

1) Did I overplay the turn?
2) Did I underplay the river?
Old 12-09-2005, 06:28 AM

Default Re: My nine makes a straight, so lets cap the turn...

Why aren't you betting the flop? If button had already counted out his chips to bet with I could see check-raising the field, but otherwise you've got to get your bets in now, because your one-card straight isn't going to catch anyone by surprise.

The turn is great, you've got these two guys stuck in the middle. Sucks to see that 5-bet and you've got to be glad to only pay that one bet to see the showdown.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:37 AM

The flop call is fine. I think you can raise the flop..this may change the turn action, but you can open the betting
Old 12-09-2005, 06:58 AM

Take a stab at the flop and hope that the button either folds or raises. If he just calls it is no big deal either.

If he folds you can potentially buy the button for the next round of betting and take a free card should you miss. The PFR's most likely hand is something along the lines of AK/AQ so hope that he raises and knocks out his A-big. That is certainly worth something in this big pot if the straight doesn't happen to pan out. It is kinda a win/win situation for you as you would like for him to raise/fold but don't really care if he just calls.

Check/raising the river looks like a good value play here as well and no the turn is fine.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why aren't you betting the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because I'm stupid sometimes. I should be betting or c/r'ing this flop.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:56 PM

I'd probably bet the flop. If you induce lots of calls, it might be for value, and it gives you a shot at buying the button.

I'm guessing he showed down something weird...J2 for middle pair?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:11 PM

well i learned something. i never would have thought about donking that flop.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:42 PM

Grunch:

1. No - all you can possibly fear is Q9, Get your money in with the best of it.

2. Yes, I'd bet/call as a runner, runner flush (or K high str8 from Q9) isn't the most likely hand from the earlier action.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:22 PM

Grunch:
I think bet/c flop. Button might raise and drive out SB(pfr) or sb might narrow the field with a raise. Either way you have lots of bets in with a good draw.
Turn: I like this action and the pot has grown.
Riv: I think bet/call as turn action didn't look like a flush draw. I could be wrong. I put him on pocket Js or Ts . Nice hand!
Old 12-09-2005, 07:35 PM

I don't like betting the river because

a) at best, I am splitting this pot with another 9, and there are no more cards to come that people can hope will hit their stupid draws.

b) The K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] hits every stupid draw there was on that board. I have to call a bet obviously, but no one is paying off more than one bet on that board having to coldcall 2 (after I bet and button raises). Worst of all is facing 4-5 bets on the river by someone with a flush trapping me between him and the other nine.

On the other hand, the pot is huge and my equity is still probably greatere than 25% in this pot even with the flush out there. I still can't decide if I should have been betting the river for value.