Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-18-2005, 02:38 AM

Default (55) Donking it up with JJ

How much does everbody hate this? How would you play it?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed)

UTG (t1145)
UTG+1 (t1470)
MP1 (t945)
Hero (t2075)
CO (t2205)
Button (t730)
SB (t1015)
BB (t415)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="red">UTG raises to t100</font>, <font color="red">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t100, <font color="red">CO raises to t250</font>, <font color="red">3 folds</font>, UTG calls t150, Hero calls t150.

Flop: (t795) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="red">UTG bets all-in [t895] </font>, Hero ???, there is a player behind
Old 11-18-2005, 02:42 AM

Default Re: (55) Donking it up with JJ

I think preflop is fine, and it's a fairly routine fold on the flop with that action.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:46 AM

Easy fold.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:58 AM

I would fold but I think there's a real good chance you have UTG beat. I'm guessing he has the nut flush draw or a pair QQ or lower. CO has a higher pair than you doesn't he? Haven't played enough 55's to be confident in this decision.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:26 AM

playing jacks like a pussy is for pussys. reraise this one and it will be a lot easier decision for you on the flop.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:29 AM

Does anyone fold pre flop here facing UTG raise? With all the resent talk about folding AK why not JJ?
Old 11-18-2005, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone fold pre flop here facing UTG raise? With all the resent talk about folding AK why not JJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're getting the correct odds to hit your set.

I play it the same way as OP.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play it the same way as OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're going to regret saying that when I post the rest of the hand.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:42 AM

Ok, I play it the same way preflop as OP, and I fold postflop. Results oriented? Maybe... heh.

Although, I don't terribly hate a call here. Let's not overlook that the play at the 55s can be as horrible as anywhere, and that bet is weird, and the reraise was weird... sometimes the 55s mess with my head.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:14 AM

Preflop I play just like you do 100% of the time. If I've got JJ and position on the guy, I'm playing. And even though you must hate your hand and not really know what flop you're praying for, I can't see folding for 150 more closing the action preflop. I think that the flop is a fold, though folding an overpair never qualifies as easy for me. I'm calling the flop 100% of the time obviously without the dude who reraised and has me covered behind me to act, but this situation is incredibly dangerous for you and you've still got oodles of chips to play with after you fold and watch UTG's 88 beat CO's AQ or whatever he calls with lol. (Note: I don't actually put those players on those hands but that's always what they've got for me when I fold like this lololol.)

EDIT: For some stupid bloody reason I didn't take into account your chip count when thinking about the preflop move, though I did consider when thinking about the postflop call. With your chips I will often make it 350 here depending on how I got that stack. If I showed down a big hand that I played aggressively preflop then I always raise it here, but I doubled through with a BB special or something I'm more likely to call. I wish to change my "call 100% of the time preflop agains the initial UTG raise to "call 30%, reraise 70%.