Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 04:52 AM

Default (55) a type of hand I might be suggling to play: mid PP\'s

This is the third hand of the tournament so there are no real reads. Is this sort of play costing me a lot, or am I trapping continuation bets often enough here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) internettexasholdem.com

CO (t970)
Button (t870)
SB (t970)
BB (t970)
UTG (t820)
Hero (t970)
UTG+2 (t1000)
MP1 (t1430)
MP2 (t1000)
MP3 (t1000)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, Hero calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t75</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls t60, UTG calls t60, Hero calls t60.
<font color="blue">MP2 has a hand he considers a raising hand (store for later). I call closing the action with those callers in front of me.</font>

Flop: (t310) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks.
<font color="blue">So he checked behind. I'm thinking he doesn't like his hand and might want to see a free card. AA/KK/QQ/JJ are probably betting with the flush draw out there.</font>

Turn: (t310) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t200</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets all-in t895</font>.
<font color="blue">He just bet 2/3 of the pot on a card that didn't change my relative status. Since I thought I was probably ahead after he checked behind on the flop, I'm putting him on maybe a missed AK/AQ. A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]/K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] might also play this way since I don't really know what he thinks is a raising hand preflop.</font>

comments?
Old 11-01-2005, 05:06 AM

Default Re: (55) a type of hand I might be suggling to play: mid PP\'s

these are also hands I struggle with. I call down with 88 here - let him hang himself.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:07 AM

I think this is perfect and your reasoning is all solid.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
these are also hands I struggle with. I call down with 88 here - let him hang himself.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's 505 in the pot looks like, that'd be very nice to add to hero's stack. Also there are a lot of cards you don't want to see on the river. Try to win the pot here, but at least force him to make a mistake by calling a raise with overcards or a flush draw.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is perfect and your reasoning is all solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely. MP2 is a bit of a mong really here. I'd have bet that flop for sure if I were him with AK, AQ or whatever, especially as it looks like I'm scared of the flush draw. However I'd also do it with JJ+ and the amount would be the same both times.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:01 AM

On the turn, I think I bet out, t200. I think I call an allin raise from MP2 but fold to a raise from one of the blinds.