Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2005, 03:51 AM

Default hard drive issues

ok ok i know this isnt a computer forum, but this is the closest thing i know of. I caught a trojan horse that i cant get rid of by any means besides reformating my hard drive. i do have a hard copy of windows xp pro, but when i put it into the drive, it said i couldn't install because i have a newer version of windows on my computer. what do i need to do to completely wipe out my hard drive and reinstall windows. if it helps, i do have 2 hard drives.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:09 AM

Default Re: hard drive issues

[ QUOTE ]
ok ok i know this isnt a computer forum, but this is the closest thing i know of. I caught a trojan horse that i cant get rid of by any means besides reformating my hard drive. i do have a hard copy of windows xp pro, but when i put it into the drive, it said i couldn't install because i have a newer version of windows on my computer. what do i need to do to completely wipe out my hard drive and reinstall windows. if it helps, i do have 2 hard drives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before I get into much of anything, I want to point out that you need to have hard copies of almost all the drivers your system uses. If this already sounds too complicated for you, stop now and get some professional help with your computer.

I'm assuming your Windows install disc is of the 'complete install' variety. If it's an upgrade disc, this won't work. I'm also assuming your computer can boot from a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM (most can these days).

Instead of booting up Windows when your computer starts, fire the thing up with the command prompt only. This process for doing this differs from version to version of Windows. You will have to hold one of the function keys (like F8) once the first BIOS screen has finished. Usually this is after the memory check.

Be very sure you know what you are doing before you proceed. I won't be held responsible, yada yada yada.

Once you have the command prompt up, type format c: and press enter. It will ask you to confirm. Do so if you are ready for the big format.

Once it's done formatting, put the Windows install CD in the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.

Turn off the computer.

Turn it back on.

The on screen instructions should be able to guide you from there. You will have to install all the drivers for hardware not in the windows database when the system loads.
This can take awhile.

*NOTE*
In the future, I think the new software forum on 2+2 would be a great place for all these types of questions.