Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 05:47 PM

Default What blinds are worth steal?

In MMT, when is a good time to start blind stealing?
When tourney starts, everyone gets 1500 chips. Blinds are 10/20. It is not worth to risk your entire 1500 to steal for 30 or 50 chips. Is 100/200 a good blind to start your steal? In other words, what is a good blinds level for stealing? Is this number related with your stack size, average pot, ...etc?
Old 11-11-2004, 06:29 PM

Default Re: What blinds are worth steal?

I usually don't start stealing blinds till the ante rounds start.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:34 PM

Remen makes a good point; however, IMO stealing blinds is table dependent and stack dependent. I generally do not consider stealing the blinds until they are at least 100-150. If the table is playing tight and I have a good size stack I will start stealing long before the antes come into play.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:46 PM

I am familiar with Stars blinds structure. Ante normally comes at 100/200 blind level.

What about Party and other online sites?
Do they have similar blinds/ante structure as Stars?
Old 11-11-2004, 06:47 PM

Whenever you can make a grab at the blinds and feel comfortable about the risk/reward ratio is a good time. If you are above average in chips and the blinds aren't too great compared to the defenders stacks, you should be fine as long as you aren't overstealing, once an orbit is too often for it to be respected.

[ QUOTE ]
It is not worth to risk your entire 1500 to steal for 30 or 50 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are pushing in to steal, that's gonna ruin you. A steal is only worth risking 2-3x what you are hoping to gain. You have to be able to fold to a reraise, too.

Contrary to a lot of advice I believe that the hands you steal with should be better than average but not good enough for you to want to showdown with (small pocket pairs are my favorite, or Ax suited). If you are gonna be pushing in on a steal they need to be showdown quality everytime.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:49 PM

I don't think Party ever adds an ante, which really blows. I guess that's to help offset the smaller starting stacks.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:11 PM

Hurlyburly.

I am not sure I entirely agree with you. Pushing all-in to steal is often justifiable. I will steal with any two cards [otherwise it is not technically stealing]. I never consider showing down in an attempt to steal. If I am all-in on a steal and I get "caught", I expect to lose.

Just my 2 cents. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2004, 08:32 PM

I usually start stealing when the blinds are 50/100, but it depends on the texture of the table. It helps a great deal to observe hands you're not in. Pay attention to who is folding their blinds for raises and who the tightest preflop players are.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:49 PM

I will only put as many chips in to steal as I think are needed to make my opponent fold based on my observation and not 1 chip more. I steal based on GAP so my "stealing" hands still stand a chance when called. Unless "all-in" is what is needed in order to have any folding equity whatsoever (i.e. when I'm short stacked) I won't be heavily committed or all-in on my steals (usually.

Just my thoughts.