Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 08:52 PM

Default Is Mike Cappelletti\'s book any good?

I got "How To Win at Omaha High-Low Poker" by Mike Cappelletti today as a gift. Before I crack it and render it unreturnable, I want to know if it's worth a read or if I should return it for something else.

I have been playing O/8 for around three months and am winning about 2.5BB/100 at the limit tables and have cashed in several multis, though I have yet to win one. The multis have all been smaller buy-ins, 5+1s mostly.

I do not play PLO8, though I do want to learn after I have a better feel for LO8.

If this book is really not worth the read, could you guys suggest some other books that are better? I am reading the O8 section of SS2 the cheap way (school library represent,) so anything outside of that would be great. Thanks a bunch.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Is Mike Cappelletti\'s book any good?

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...304&Forum=,,,f19,,,&Words=omaha%20mike&Searchpage=2& amp;Limit=25&Main=3217304&Search=true& where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=0&newerv al=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&am p;bodyprev=#Post3217304
Reviewed it here.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:13 PM

Ah, searched the O8 forum, forgot to search the book forum. Whoops.

Edit: I have Zee's book on order, BN is taking their sweet time getting it to me. What would you suggest in the meantime?
Old 09-28-2005, 09:34 PM

www.o8poker.com

even if you don't particularly think much of his advice he's got good links to other sites, but I was happy with the information. Check out that ribbo guy's site to for PL hand analysis. I think his site is

www.ribbo.com

Also, Bill Boston's "Omaha High-Low: Play to Win With the Odds" is being reprinted, and should be out by christmas. I would suggest anyone interested in Omaha to check out this guy's hand analysis charts, they're pretty fascinating. And hopefully he'll be donating the proceeds of the book to cancer research again like he did with his first "printing". You can find the original used on a large online bookseller site, that's where I got mine.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the links, those are already on my bookmark list.

I guess I'll just wait for Zee's book then... I'm just dying for something nice and theory-grounded to read on the subject.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:57 PM

I believe it's best to read both Zee's book & Capelletti's book & try to forge your play from a combination of both viewpoints, because they are very different & they definately have substancial value, imo. Zee constantly emphasizes the need to be tight & careful. Good advice in omaha, to be sure. Capelletti has his favorite themes that he keeps firing away on, like 1.Prom-raises(& double pro-mo raises). 2.The drive bluff. & 3.The "trash man image". These concepts are fun & add variety to your game, but you have to be careful using them, & Capeletti warns you to do this. It take a lot of study & thought to meld together the info that these 2 excellent players have to offer. Good luck.