Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 11:10 PM

Default QQ in MP with a preflop reraise from the button

I'd like it if you could comment on several things. No reads on any of the players, this is about my 9th hand at the table.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

First, I am nearly positive it is correct to cap preflop, but if it's not, could someone please explain why?

Flop: (14.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

On the flop, considering the preflop action, Button could have several hands. I'm thinking AA and AK are strong possibilities, but I don't think JJ is out of the question. The J is a card I don't want to see, but I still think I have the best of it, and I want to increase the pot size. His raise confirms some of my fears, but I have no problem calling it. Should I reraise here? My instincts are to call and then go into check/call mode from here on out UI.

Turn: (10.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

I have no idea what CO has, but I'm growing more and more confident that button has AK, AA, or JJ. I still think there's a good chance I'm ahead, however, and don't think this call is a bad idea

River: (13.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds.

This king really gives me problems. First of all, I'm figuring he's on JJ, AK, or AA. In any of those three cases, this K ensures that I am beaten. I, however, am not confident in my read, and don't put it past a party player to play this way with AJo or JTs. I call, figuring that the pot is large enough at this point (14.25 BB) to justify it.

Edit: I forgot to include the possibility that the villian had KK. I did take that into account, however, in my decisionmaking.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:33 PM

Default Re: QQ in MP with a preflop reraise from the button

3-bet the flop.

Bet out on the turn.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:41 PM

What's the purpose of the flop 3-bet? Make him pay if he is in fact drawing? And if he caps, I assume I would call?

If he caps, does that change the decision to lead out on the turn? Or would I lead out and fold to a raise?

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out under what situation I would fold this hand.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the purpose of the flop 3-bet? Make him pay if he is in fact drawing? And if he caps, I assume I would call?

If he caps, does that change the decision to lead out on the turn? Or would I lead out and fold to a raise?

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out under what situation I would fold this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You 3-bet the flop because more times than not you have the best hand.

You lead out on the turn because more times than not you have the best hand.

If you're raised on the turn, then more times than not you do not have the best hand but the $$$ in the pot dictate that you call it down.

SSHE is not about winning THIS hand, its about getting your money in when you have the best of it longterm....which you do in this hand.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:50 PM

Thanks.