Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 12:15 AM

Default Playing vs. \'maniacs\' - limit

Back from a -30 BB $30/60 live session (over 16 hours of play).

And the player to my left has me totally stumped on how to play vs. these people.

He would play probably 50% of all hands raising with nothing (or something). Now if he was your run of the mill maniac I could live with it. He was extremely lucky but at the same time never seemed to get in really bad situations. I'm convinced he is a loser in the long run but only because of his 'gamble'. (I have reasons to believe $'s are not an issue or the reason he plays)

So how do you play vs. 'maniacs' who play well after the flop?

Especially when you are sitting on their right (I'm thinking the first comment will be 'move' and looking back I should have)

Note: The game generally had 1 raise preflop and 4 players.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Playing vs. \'maniacs\' - limit

canterbury?...who was it?
Old 10-16-2005, 01:10 AM

Vu (sp?)
Old 10-16-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Vu (sp?)

[/ QUOTE ]

he's a tough one. my advice would be to flop good. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2005, 03:37 AM

Seriously, Vu doesnt really play well after the flop. He loves to limp-reraise very light, but I will four bet and cap anything I opened w/ because it slows him down, helps thin out the field, and pushes what pf edge I might have. As far as after the flop goes he will usually back off if he has not hit or wants to draw cheaply, but will push good draws heavily. He is typical of many superlags at Canterbury, but knows when he is beat or behind, so be aggressive while the hand is being defined, i.e before he slows down on big streets. My advice is to revert to call down mode if you have a weak made hand on a draw heavy board w/ many bets in on flop, but push aggressively w/ TPTK and the like. Get in there and gamble. If he is running lucky, there is really no stopping him, but do not let it hurt confidence, when you catch him on a bad day you will not be intimidated in the least.

P.S. Do you usually play in the 30? The reason I ask is that you should have a pretty good idea of how to play against a player like this by now, and if you do not it makes me wonder if you are ready for this game. Though most of the players are not as maniacal as the the villain here, they will certainly put alot of pressure on you.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:02 AM

Vu is really easy to play against. I don't mean to sound condecending...but if you have trouble with Vu you shouldn't be playign 30/60. The 15/30 and 8/16 games are very easy.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:01 AM

Here you go:

http://poker.betfirms.com/art/publish/article_248.shtml
Old 10-16-2005, 08:04 AM

If Vu is a maniac then I can hardly imagine what you think of me or BK or Jay or Pickett or or or or.... Point is in my mind I think of him as a passive player who plays a lot of hands. He doesn't play aggressively postflop in any sense of the word aggressive, and he doesn't bluff.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:10 AM

just a general question to the ppl in this thread...do you play live a lot. im thinking of giving a shot at the live 40 or 80 game (at bay101) but im mostly worried about my age (though i have a decent ID)

is there any benefit to playing live? i know i wont be able to ever get my online winrate live...but it seems like everyone's doing it and i dont know why [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2005, 08:13 AM

n/m