Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Dubya leans Liberal When...

A lot of Social Issues come up, Is it just me or is "No Child Left Behind" And his lack of border control more Democratic than you thought he could be?

Discuss?
Old 08-27-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Dubya leans Liberal When...

No child left behind is unfunded in his budget.

I assume this post was made tongue in cheek.

If not, it's even funnier! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

edit: just in case youre serious, look at his actions with the FDA, clean air and water acts, energy bill, gay marriage, affirmative action....

better hope Chris Alger doesn't respond here, I'm missing most of them in my list.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:24 PM

He leans liberal with the issues you mentioned but those are only a couple of many social issues, most of which he is conservative. I dont know why no one deals with the border, I know it's politics but the majority of America wants something done.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He leans liberal with the issues you mentioned

[/ QUOTE ]

This is quite a revelation!

[ QUOTE ]
FDA

[/ QUOTE ]

By threatening the jobs of FDA officials that rightly shut down production of tainted food? By lowering the standard of what food is tainted? By raising the 'standard of proof' that and FDA official needs to shut down production of tainted food, that it is now virtually impossible?

[ QUOTE ]
clean air

[/ QUOTE ]

By lowering the clean air standards for companies, and not joining the international treaty?

[ QUOTE ]
water acts

[/ QUOTE ]

By increasing the permissible amounts of arsenic in our drinking water?

[ QUOTE ]
energy bill,

[/ QUOTE ]

By giving huge subsidies to an industry that is already making record profits?

[ QUOTE ]
gay marriage,

[/ QUOTE ]

By saying he's against it, and that if you happen to be born gay, you can't use your spouse's health care benefits in that capacity just because you happened to be born gay?

[ QUOTE ]
affirmative action...

[/ QUOTE ]

By trying to shut down the Un. of Michigan's affirmative action program?

He has done all this and oh so much more. Almost universally to increase corporate profits at the cost of the citizenry's health and livelihood.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:37 PM

DOH! Misread who FishHooks was replying to.

Bush actions still stand tho, but not too relevant in this thread, heh.

MMMMMM, Bushbashing... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He leans liberal with the issues you mentioned but those are only a couple of many social issues, most of which he is conservative. I dont know why no one deals with the border, I know it's politics but the majority of America wants something done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Democrats don't want to do anything about it because it will result in higher food prices, which will hurt poor people.

Republicans don't want to do anything about it because it will lower corporate profits, which will hurt rich people.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:26 PM

Nice talking points to a serious question.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of Social Issues come up, Is it just me or is "No Child Left Behind" And his lack of border control more Democratic than you thought he could be?

Discuss?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, his decision to underfund NCLB is certainly Republican-esque in nature.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Typical GOP Fraud

Most Americans lean toward the left on most issues. Conservatives therefore have to garnish their legislation with focus-group tested slogans that appeal to values of fairness, equality, concern, community, etc. After all, who wants to leave children behind? In reality, Republicans obviously do, witness their bragging about pro-education legislation that they refuse to even fund (a ploy that Reagan used with great effect while Governor). Worse, consider their utter disregard for America's growing infant mortality rate. (The U.S. is 27th worldwide, behind every country in Europe, even Greece and Portugal -- March of Dimes). Before I looked this up, my recollection is that we were 18th, right behind Italy. It's another case of "old Europe" leaving the USA in the dust.

As for borders, GOP leaders (especially those from Texas) are generally favor liberal immigration policies, including allowing a great degree of "illegal" immigration. The rich need the cheap labor and government benefit from the taxes. Try and recall any GOP consensus toward the one obvious and inevitably effective solution to hiring immigrants: fining and taxing the employers. The trick with the GOP is to capitalize on the racism and xenophobia without having to do much about policy.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:49 PM

NCLB is one of the bigges jokes ever (or best con jobs)- I haven't read much about it lately, but my undrestanding of the bill when it was passed was that there is no way that any school could pass mustard in ten years. The bill is attempting to have 100% pass rates in proficiency tests, which is goddamn unlikely as it is- but it also counts disabled children (the mentally retarded included) based upon thier age. what do you think the chances of passing high school proficiency test for a kid with an IQ of 45 are? probably pretty low.
As far as i can tell the program - even when funded - was disigned to privatises the Education system in the states in a backhanded manner.