Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 08:45 PM

Default A Bankroll Question

I have read in several posts and articles on this website and others that a bankroll of 300 BB (for limit play) is appropriate for each limit.

Before I had read about this I had ridden up the limits starting from .02/.04 with a bankroll of 200 BB. I was up to about 350$ so the limit my rule allowed me to play was .5/1.

However, higher limits always look pretty to me so I decided to get creative and play 1/2. Then I couldn't step back down. I worked my way up to $450, at which point i stepped into 2/4 (completely breaking the 200 BB rule i had made for myself)

I've been sucessful at 2/4 but have not yet reached 300BB. Would yyou recommend stepping back down to 1/2? I have thought that if I fall below 400 that i will play 1/2 until I am comfortable with 2/4 again.

I feel that by moving up i can create a greater cash flow and that I would be wasting my time accumulating 300 BB just to play a higher limit. What do you guys think of my idea?
Old 02-11-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: A Bankroll Question

A lot of it depends on your confidence to beat the game. If you're really comfortable and confident at 2/4, you could, in theory, stay there, but if you have $450, then there's no way you should be there. No matter how good you are, you'll still go through nasty downswings. I would play it safe and smart and grind 1/2 until I got at least 800 or a grand before jumping up. Just my $0.02
Old 02-11-2005, 08:57 PM

You will go through downswings. It does not matter if you are the greatest player on earth, how good your reads are, or how experienced a player you are. Recently some of the more experienced posters here have had horrific downswings.

If you are not afraid of redepositing your real $$ despite your excellent play - then keep playing above your bankroll will allow. I never plan on putting any more real $$ into online poker. In order to do this - I MUST play within the bankroll rule. When I can beat the current level and have the $$ to move to the next level, I will.

With $450 in your bankroll 2/4 is sooo far above your head. I am not saying you cannot play at that level - but playing within your bankroll is part of the game also. I would be sure that you can at least beat 1/2 (mabye even .5/1) over 10,000 hands and have 300BB before moving to 2/4. After you prove you can win 2BB/100 at 1/2 and have the bankroll to play 2/4 ($1200-1500) - then move up.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:36 PM

I think that the 300 BB rule stems from the kinds of variance you'll see if you use the tight, aggressive style of play advocated by SSH (and followed by most of the posters on these forums). If your playing style is more weak/tight, you'll see less variance and can make do with a smaller bankroll.

When I first started playing, I set my standard at a mere 100 BBs as I moved up. I would not recommend this as I now know that I was fortunate to run well enough that I didn't bust myself out, but my style of play was also a lot less aggressive in those days. Anyway, I first moved up to 2/4 with a whopping $399 in my bankroll, built it up to about $850, and then had a horrible downswing that dropped me to around $80 at the lowest point. That was not fun, trust me.

As other posters have said, a lot hinges on whether or not you're okay with reloading out of your own pocket. If you can afford to do so and don't mind having to, you can rush yourself up the limits a lot faster (basically, your bankroll becomes however much money you have stashed away that you can afford to risk on poker). If you're comfortable playing a little closer to the edge and confident in your playing abilities vs. typical opponents at 2/4, there's no real reason to step back down at this point.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:39 PM

The 300BB rule is there for a reason.

100BB swing is really common. I have 40BB swings weekly if not daily it seems. A daily swing could be 40% of your rule.

Dangerous, but you are a big boy/girl.

SWUSC
Old 02-11-2005, 11:40 PM

I go on 400-600 BB rule. I play very aggressive though.

SWUSC
Old 02-11-2005, 11:45 PM

My philosophy is along the same lines as pokerstud. I have my bankroll and when it gets bigger I move up. If you don't mind putting in more cash when u have a downswing then don't worry about it, but some of us have wives.lol.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:04 AM

Understand, I'm not saying that 100BB is enough; just that that's how I played when I first started. There's no way on earth that I would jump up to a level that I only had 100 BB for, now. I was just empathising with Mate0 and explaining my own background.

At this point in my playing "career", I'm a firm believer in the 300 BB rule, and as you go higher in limits I think you should increase that even more. But I also remember that when you're starting out and playing microlimits, it can take a long time to build your bankroll up to a suitable level for small stakes, so I'm not going to blame someone for rushing it a little (so long as they understand the possible consequences).
Old 02-12-2005, 12:28 AM

If you havent already, look into bonus whoring. Check the FAQ in the micro forum for a link to homer's post on this. Also check bonuswhores.com
Old 02-12-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I go on 400-600 BB rule. I play very aggressive though.

SWUSC

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, the more I have the happier I am.

300BB is a minimum to move up for me, but I 100% refuse to reload from my pocket.