Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 07:27 PM

Default A good pot odds link

i was playing online the other day, and a hand came up where i realized that my pot odd knowledge is a little rusty. does anyone know a good website where pot odds are listed. for example, if you have a gs straight and flush draw, what are proper odds to call. let me know. thanks in advance.

--solids
Old 12-30-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: A good pot odds link

Just add up your outs subtract them from # unseen cards and divide. GS + FD is 47 - 12 = 35/12 or ~3:1, and you should probably push not call [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 12-30-2005, 07:44 PM

http://www.pokerupdate.com/pokerodds.htm
Old 12-30-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just add up your outs subtract them from # unseen cards and divide. GS + FD is 47 - 12 = 35/12 or ~3:1, and you should probably push not call [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

hey thanks! that really was helpful...

actually, i know how to do this, as well as the rule of 4, etc.

the problem is, i don't have time to do the math when i'm 4 tabling, plus the fact that empire gives you 20 seconds to make a decision.

--solids
Old 12-30-2005, 07:50 PM

perfect. thanks.

--solids
Old 12-30-2005, 08:12 PM

I'm confused. So if you flop a hand with 12 outs you should push with it? Is that a joke or for real? And if thats serious, then help me understand why. 3:1, does that mean that you will make the hand 1 in 3 times? To me if you push and get called every time you only win 1 of 3 thats not good news. I'm sure I'm not thinking rationally, help me out here.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:47 PM

3:1 means you will miss 3 times and make it once. Actually 3:1 is the odds of catching on the next card, since you have 2 cards to come if you're allin you're actually nearly even money to hit your hand. This is assuming all your outs are clean of course. What makes pushing good is that you're opponent will fold some % of the time. This doesn't mean you should push every time you have 12 outs though, if you're sure you will get called it is not +EV. There was an excellent discussion of this topic by fimbul a couple of months ago much better then I can explain it, but I don't know how to provide links [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
Old 12-30-2005, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused. So if you flop a hand with 12 outs you should push with it? Is that a joke or for real? And if thats serious, then help me understand why. 3:1, does that mean that you will make the hand 1 in 3 times? To me if you push and get called every time you only win 1 of 3 thats not good news. I'm sure I'm not thinking rationally, help me out here.

[/ QUOTE ]

3:1 = in four times, you miss 3 times and hit once. 3:1 = 25%, 2:1 = 33.3%, etc

Pushing with a draw where you are a slight dog, dead even, or slight favorite is done because there is money already in the pot, you generate fold equity, and you get to see both cards if called. You aren't 3:1 with that type of draw, thats just an estimate for one card to come. Even a bare flush draw is ~2:1 seeing two cards.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:00 PM

I've been wrestling with the search, someone please post the link to fimbuls post!!! please [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]