Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-15-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Re-bluff: possible squeeze-bluff

I’m on the button and everyone folds to me in a 6max 2/4 game. I raise to 12 with JTo. A very tight SB calls the bet, and before BB acts, I say out loud to my computer “this is a great place for a big squeeze bet.” Surely enough, BB raises to 55. So now there’s ~$80 in the pot, I’ve got about 400, SB’s got around 400, and BB’s got around 130 left behind.

I’m not worried about SB. To this point, he’s shown that he doesn’t like to slowplay his big hands. I’m 90% sure that he’s folding to BB’s bet, let alone any additional action from me.
BB seems to be a decent short stack player who is good at taking advantage of situations such as this one, where it appears that there’s dead money on the table that can be easily scooped up with a little aggression.
I have not been playing many hands to this point. Also, I’ve only been at the table for about 25 hands.

Assuming that SB would fold, here’s what went through my head: putting him in will probably get him to fold out JJ and down about 75% of the time. Maybe he folds QQ 30% of the time. He never folds AA or KK. If he calls with 2 overs about 50%, I’m only a 2-1 dog. He always folds rags. And in this situation, he has rags more than usual.

As you may have guessed, I put him in. I like my read here, but I still feel as though my overall reasoning is quite incomplete. Please let me know what I missed in my thought process, or what was flat out wrong. Or hell, if you likee… that’s good to hear, too.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Re-bluff: possible squeeze-bluff

I don't know where you're playing but people in the Party 2/4 6-max have no idea what a squeeze play is.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:13 AM

just let it go
Old 12-15-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know where you're playing but people in the Party 2/4 6-max have no idea what a squeeze play is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prima. And I'm uncomfortable with that kind of blanket assumption about all of my opponents. I think that if you're watching, you can get some feeling for the depth of another player's education and overall skill. Sure, I don't KNOW what he knows, but I do know he's picked up a lot of pots uncontested when it looks like he's got some good FE.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just let it go

[/ QUOTE ]

based on what, exactly?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:23 AM

Does your play align itself with the Fundamental Theory of Poker? You yourself say you are a 2:1 dog; and your reraise will again give you odds of 1:2, 1:3 depending on your bet. What part of this don't you understand.
This is all about squeezing BB to keep him in line. Wait for a better opportunity.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:27 AM

He's raised to 55 from a 130 starting stack. I don't think he's folding anywhere near as often as you think he is for his last 75. You estimation of 75% for JJ and down is ludicrous in my opinion, particularly when you've characterized him as "a decent short stack player who is good at taking advantage of situations such as this one". People who play a short stack well are not putting in this much of their stack only to fold for the rest of it getting better than 2:1.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is all about squeezing BB to keep him in line. Wait for a better opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the worst hand you put him in with?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you aren't asking me, but I need 55+, AJ+ or KQ
Old 12-15-2005, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you aren't asking me, but I need 55+, AJ+ or KQ

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an open forum... thanks for stepping up!