Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-09-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Thanks+Standard Play?

Hey all,

Since I won a MTT at PP for a $5K score in February, I've moved primarily to cash games, but I've still lurked here to keep my tourney strategy up to par.

Last night I made the final table on FTP's 10+1 (about 300 entrants). It wasn't much of a win for 8th place, but I'm happy with it since it's been a long time since I've played a tournament and an even longer one since I've done well. Plus, I think low buy in tournaments are just fun. Thanks for all the knowledge that you all given out.

Anyway, here's my bust hand. Down to 8, I'm in the BB with
K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I've only got T21,000 (2nd low stack) after I hit air with pocket 7's on the button with three overcards on the board and a push from another player. Blinds are 800-1600 with a 150 ante. Villian (covers), a solid player, calls UTG and it folds around to the SB (covers), who also calls.

I considered pushing, but I know that UTG has it out for me, and I'm not going to be surprised in the least if he's got a hand. When there were two tables left, I reraised him all in twice in one orbit follwing his early position raises (I had KK and JJ on those hands). He's seems pretty good, and I have a thought that the EP call might be a trap. Given this read, I check.

Anyway, flop comes 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
SB checks, I push just under 20K into a 6K pot. Thoughts?
Old 12-09-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Thanks+Standard Play?

nothing wrong weith that
Old 12-09-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Thanks+Standard Play?

I like a checkraise allin here better. Very hard for UTG not to bet in this situation if checked to. Under the gun limp could be a big hand (maybe even the deadly AA w/ diamond) but it could just be a middle pair/no diamond or random junk. It would help to know UTG's stacks size and the other stacks at the table because that affects his limping range. Just "he covers" doesn't tell as much.

I think this is another situation where you have to get your chips in and you are going broke against certain hands so you might as well check to

- increase the amount of money you get when you win it on the flop

- increase your odds versus the range of hands that get it allin with you on the flop.

The argument against is that you don't really want to get it allin vs 88/77/etc. w/ diamond, which may call your checkraise allin but not an outright push. But I think the other factors outweigh that.'

Edit: this should be obvious, but pushing 20K into a 6K pot on the flop is just generally a bad idea. This is close to a reasonable time to do it, but the bet size vs pot size is a lot more reasonable when you check-raise. You'll still get a lot of folds and you may even trap SB in the middle. You can also find out more about SB's hand before you act. If he checkraises you can probably find a fold yourself.