Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-03-2005, 11:48 PM

Default Folding KK preflop for the first time ever

I recently folded K's preflop for the first time ever, and I wanted to know if anyone else agreed with me or if I made the wrong play.

I was playing on Full Tilt, $.25/50. I sat down with my normal $50 buy-in. I have only been playing on Full Tilt for 2 weeks, but I have made $300 in 40 hours in that time, so I'm doing well. My FOURTH hand, I'm in the CO seat with KK. I have not seen a flop yet, as every flop has been raised, and the table seems a little loose, which is good for me. There is one limper (UTG), and the next guy raises to $2. The next guy goes all-in for $120. I was really stuck, because I didn't know what the hell was going on. My first thought was AK or JJ, which is sometimes the play in a tournament for psychos who hate seeing the flop with these two hands, but because it was cash, and the table was crazy, the guy may have had AA and just might thought he'd get a call because it was a such a whacko play. Another thing I thought about was the fact that the guy had run is buy-in ($50 max) up to $120, so either the guy was getting really lucky or had some idea of what he was doing. Rather than just calling and going "doh, I lost $50," I opted to fold. I ended up winning $15 in 2 hours in this session, but this hand was sitting in the back of my mind the whole time. Did I make the right play?

Thanks,

~Bux
Old 12-03-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Folding KK preflop for the first time ever

Harrington said it well....
"Im not good enough to fold KK preflop. Neither are you."

In this situation Id call, but I am not one of the NEVER fold PF ppl. Ive done it, to a guy with a VPIP of like 5 and a 0 PFR over 200 hands, and even then i didnt like it.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:59 PM

there are situations where i fold KK, this however is not one of them. now if he open raised and someome rr'ed and i 3 bet and he pushed a fold becomes more of an option...
Old 12-04-2005, 12:00 AM

man i call and go "doh, I lost $50" here

these situations just flip a coin and blame it on heads if you lose
Old 12-04-2005, 12:07 AM

Usually you'll still see JJ or AK in this situation. I folded KK today after a limpreraise then a push, but in general I hate it. That's basically the minumum action for me to fold. If the guy wants to open push or push over a normal raise I call everytime with KK. AA vs KK just doesn't happen enough to worry about.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:08 AM

Thanks for the advice. You're all probably right, and looking back on it after the situation is over, I think I should have called. Weird coincidence, I just was reading the new cardplayer and Negreanu folding K's preflop and it turned out the guy had Q's, so even the greats are sometimes wrong!

~Bux
Old 12-04-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
man i call and go "doh, I lost $50" here

these situations just flip a coin and blame it on heads if you lose

[/ QUOTE ]

I only flip a coin here if its a 2-headed coin.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:37 AM

I call here. At the PP $25 tables, I'm invariably pleasantly surprised when I see the other guys cards. AK, ATs(!), JJ, etc. On the flip side, I have a friend who's 5/5 at pushing PF with aces and getting calls from lower pocket pairs. I think he's the anomaly, though.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:56 AM

this is never a fold IMO. I want raise, re-raise and a push from a stand up player before i think about folding and even then its bugging me for the next 20 minutes (25NL by the way)
Old 12-04-2005, 07:25 AM

I read to the part where you said you were playing 50nl. Don't fold.