Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 05:19 AM

Default AK in small blind...

Home Game winding down, only three handed. Blinds are 25 cents, 50 cents. Hero has about $45 dollars and is in SB. Villian has about $20 and is big blind. Very friendly game where everyone is friends, etc. Lots of chatting, etc. Still competitive and players know each other well.

Button folds. Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in small blind.
Hero raises to $2, Villian in BB raises to $7.

Read: Villian can be making this reraise with a variety of hands. I put his range at AA-77, AK-Js/o, possibly QK. I'm leaning towards middle pair.

Hero's line of thinking: I put him on a middle pair. I am almost certain he has a hand that he is not willing to fold preflop (villian would push the above range if reraised). If I reraise, I see him all in not matter what. I call intending to pull a stop and go regardless of what falls. I tell myself I will push any flop, that way I have some fold equity if I miss the flop but it is not ideal for him. If I raise preflop he is all in. I know this probably is not the best cash game approach but given my knowledge of villian and the fact that it was getting late adn I wanted to try it out, it sounded good.

Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero pushes almost before flop has settled on the table. Villian agonizes and finally says folds.

Villian shows A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. We talk and it is obvious he was not folding preflop (he actually says this).

Finally to some of my questions:

1. Is my play of this hand ok given the situation?
2. After looking back on it, obviously I wish I would have reraised preflop and he would have pushed but this is too results oriented. That in mind, what do people think the better play is PF:
Raise?
Call?
Why

3.Is the idea of attempting this stop and go ridiculous or is my reasoning ok?

4. Even If I was intending to stop and go should I check this flop intending to CR if villian bets?

Any general thoughts/analysis greatly appreciated.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:30 AM

Default Re: AK in small blind...

With top pair and nuts flush draw... and about 1 to 1 pot odds... easy call.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:51 AM

The question is: whay would villain agonize over this fold?
Old 07-31-2005, 11:00 AM

either reraise all in or stop and go is fine based on your read of the villain and stack sizes.

that is a very lovely flop for you and I would have considered getting more value by checkraising all in, since villain seems rather aggressive.