Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 07-28-2005, 06:31 PM

Default How to play tourny given setup...

I play a live $35 tourny at a local card room, and I have a question about how I should approach this tourny given the setup.

Its 5 tables of 10 players. Each player starts with 4,000 in chips. Blinds start at 50-100 and increase every 12 minutes (100-200, 200-400, 400-800, 1,000-2,000, etc). So, they start to get really big, pretty fast. Top 5 pay.

At what point (stack xBB) should I be the point of pushing any two in LP/CO with folds to me? What hands should I consider to be a push once I have less than 10xBB.

In the beginning should I be trying to do a lot of stealing and gambling with possible coinflips b/c of the blind/payout structure.

Basically, should I playing to get a stack, since it is almost futile to sit and wait considering the structure?

Thanks guys.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: How to play tourny given setup...

play solid poker, Ridge. Never push NE2 in LP. When pushing in LP, ask yourself, "would I blind steal with this hand in the CO?" If the answer is no, wait.

The biggest mistake players make when adjusting to faster blind schedules is loosening up. Take advantage of this mistake, don't make the same mistake. Play a tight, solid game.

As for pushing when short -> 10BBs is still a nice stack, you just can't play around anymore. Pushing is your ONLY move, and you must do so only with very nice hands. I recommend increased tightness with 6-10BBs. If you run the numbers, you'll learn that the risk/reward for pushing with steal hands in LP isn't cost effective in this stack range -> the risk is too great (6-10BBs), the reward (1.5BBs) too small. Fold steal hands with this stack size. Btwn 4-6BBs, you are pushing steal hands. Under 4BBs, you are "accepting any reasonable offer of a coin flip." That means calling behind with 44 or AJo. Or pushing these hands in EP.

Solid poker and patience.

CSC
Old 07-28-2005, 06:48 PM

Yeah thats What I did and I busted out in 13th today. But at the end I thought I might have been playing too tight. Blinds campe up to 1,000-2,000 and I had 4,000 left and picked up A3 suited in LP. UTG+1 limped and MP guy pushed for about 6,000. I folded thinking I was probably way behind one of these guys. I had absolutely no reads on either player b/c I had just been moved to this table. In this situation should I be wanting to gamble knowing that I could possibly be getting 3 to 1 on my money?
Old 07-28-2005, 06:51 PM

Early in the tournament, stealing is not so important. But "gambling" is. Take chances on spec hands, limp with 78 ofsuit from early position if they let you. Try to manufacture situations where you can take advantage of the players that overplay their hands, and avoid the more solid players. You should have a minimal read on most players after a few orbits, and a good read on one or two standouts. Pick on the visibly nervous players specifically (you can tell which players are "scared to lose").

I'd much rather bust out early (and often do, lol) in this format than just "hang on". The times my gambles pay off, I have the stack to play more selective poker and not be panicking about the blinds. Instead, I have the time to exploit the others who ARE in push mode.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:51 PM

I am ok with a call here. remember, the 6K man is absolutely desperate -> you may even be ahead in the hand.

CSC