Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Cool Hotels/Things to Do when in Nashville, St. Louis, MO or Bould

Where in Nashville do you live?
Old 07-21-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Cool Hotels/Things to Do when in Nashville, St. Louis, MO or Boulder,

[ QUOTE ]
C'mon, coloradoans, everyone knows that the premier cultural and gastronomical center of CO is Casa Bonita.

Where else can you get food worse than Taco bell and a pirate diving show thing-a-majig? Also, there is a puppet show and black Bart's "scary" cave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget cliff-diving and the little sopapilla flag thing (incredibly fun to [censored] with the waitstaff using this thing when wasted).
Old 07-21-2005, 03:32 PM

An apartment complex in the Green Hills area.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:31 PM

Nice. That is also where i work.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:08 PM

In Boulder:

Take a day trip up to Ft. Collins (about an hour from boulder) to visit the New Belgium brewery (they make Fat Tire) -- not sure what days they do this, but they give you loads of sweet, sweet (free) beer.

Go hiking. Many great trails around the Flatirons; lots of good stuff up in Rocky Mountain national Park (about an hour's drive from Boulder). Heck, even if you don't want to go hiking, it's worth driving up to RMNP.

Drink some more beer. If you like hoppy beers, go to the Mountain Sun or Southern Sun. For bar-hopping, Sundown, Catacombs, and the Pearl St. Pub are imho just about the only real "bars"; most other places are brewpubs or wine bars or restaurants. (Trilogy is a pretty good wine bar. Corner Bar, in the Hotel Boulderado, is a pretty good bar/restaurant.)

There are several good restaurants in town, if you're looking for a nice meal. Frasca is the current "in" place; you will probably not be able to get a reservation (they're typically booked about a month in advance), but go if you can. The people who started it came from the French Laundry and the Little Nell, and it is sweet. (Not complex or pretentious food, but very tasty.) I also liked Full Moon Grill quite a bit; Flagstaff House has an awesome view (overlooks the city) and is good but overpriced (meaning, I dropped ~$350 on a meal for two there once, and have spent over $100 p.p. a couple other times).

The new-ish hotel someone else mentioned is the St. Julien. Pretty good location -- downtown, but unfortunately also bordering a loud, busy street (Canyon). Last I checked, this place was pretty pricey (~$200/night and up, which is a lot for Boulder). The Hotel Boulderado is also downtown and has more character, imho -- it's also not cheap, but sometimes you can get an okay deal.

Hope this helps.

cheers,

mn
Old 07-21-2005, 06:58 PM

I forget certain aspects of how to get where. Are you saying the bars mentioned on Demonbreun are the Vandy bars? IIRC, and you would certainly know better, Demonbreun is south of downtown, and Vandy is almost due west. I'm wrong?
Old 07-21-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Cool Hotels/Things to Do when in Nashville, St. Louis, MO or Boulder,

[ QUOTE ]
But as for the cliche, it's not like it is a place manufactured to be "country." Lonnie's has been there for years and is well known to have famous people stop by from time to time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. I just have a friend up there who doesn't really like to party, so his idea of a good time is watching the drunks at the most touristy places that can be found. I've scene Printer Alley jumping, and I've also had him drag me there to watch drunks sing kareoke (sp?) to an empty bar. This is entertaining to him, not to me.

[ QUOTE ]
Havana lounge used to be the place to be, but it seems to have become hit or miss lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed that, but thought I was just showing up on bad weekends.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:06 PM

In Nashville, I like staying at the Hermitage downtown (old school business-luxury hotel, great service), or the Omni Vanderbilt (nice, modern).
Old 07-22-2005, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dont get your hopes up, NO free samples at the distillery. Its located in a dry county, you can't even buy any alcoholic beverages their.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but Tullahoma County is a mere 5 miles up the road (wet).