Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 02:54 AM

Default Re: middle set in reraised family pot

very easy push
Old 07-15-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do you really think he'd bet out with the nuts 25BB? he's got nothing to be afraid of except a very very very low possibility of a straigh t draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, 25BB means nothing once the hand gets going...it's not the size of the bet in relation to the BB, it's the size of the bet in relation to the pot that matters in NL. Villian bet a little over 1/2 pot.

Secondly, the possibility of a straight draw is very real, 4-way in a limped pot. If you slowplay, and it checks around and now a 5,6,7,10,J,or Q come, you're just asking for trouble. If I had 99, I would probably be betting similar to villian here. Probably 2/3 pot.

PS Welcome to the forums. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I had 99, I would probably be betting similar to villian here. Probably 2/3 pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

forgive me for asking, but i'm on a learning curve here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
why do you bet 2/3 ? because i have some trouble for starting up a bet. I mean i do know pot odds and such, but when im betting or raising i never really know how much to bet... are there some rules of thumb ?

thanks, sorry for being off topic
Old 07-15-2005, 06:22 AM

Never consider folding here. I always push. It's a no brainer.

A very small percentage of the time you will lose to top set. Another small percentage of the time you will loose to an overpair that hit's their set on the turn or river. The vast majority of the time you win.

Are you trying to say that villian will only play this way with top set and your almost 100% sure of that?

You push because he's basically pot committing himself. He thinks he has the best hand and this is ideal for you. He has AA, KK, QQ, JJ, 10 10 way more often than he has top set.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:32 AM

Given your decisions up until this point, I frequently just call the flop bet. It's extremely unlikely that your opponent is drawing, and a checkraise has the potential to scare away hands which may be willing to invest heavily in the pot if you take a softer line. Something like check/call flop, lead turn, lead river can still get all your chips in the pot and the turn bet is generally not interpreted as great strength. You could also check the turn and lead the river -- he most likely has a good enough hand to bet again for you. But against passive players you may not want to take that chance.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I push. Minraises could be midpairs, and you will see 99 here sometimes, but you will see 44/AA-QQ here a lot as well. I think you are ahead here the vast majority of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt you'll see AA here. Could you imagine even the most ridiculously loose passive opponent miss the opportunity to punish a raise, a reraise, and two calls(!) with a preflop all in?
Old 07-15-2005, 09:23 AM

Get it all in. If he has 99 then tough for you. I think you see 98, 44 and some overpairs here enough to make it good.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:40 PM

Default RESULTS

I of course pushed and villian insta-called [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]. Turn and river are blanks, villian has JJ and MHIG. I have to say I expected to see at least two-pair here, I can't believe he put 200BB in the pot with just an overpair(and a weak one at that).
Old 07-15-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

isnt that nice? the 'donk' range of hands is TT-AA, as well as sets, TJ, and any 2paired hand.

the reasonble player RoH is set or 98, and you clearly must play even against a tight solid player
Old 07-15-2005, 06:56 PM

I'd fold preflop. The reason is that UTG is raising, well, UTG so he's showing a strong hand. He may repop it in which case you don't get to see your flop you've paid a large price to see.

On the flop, I'd call the 3-bet and check-raise him all-in on the turn, no matter what fell. If the turn card was particularly scary (7, T-Q) I might just push there.

I hope you weren't thinking of folding.

Ryan