Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 03:44 PM

Default AJ on button

Just wanted some feedback on this situation.

I have 4400 with blinds 50 100. I have A J on the button.

3rd to act raises to 300(have seen him raise with QK, etc in early position). Guy to his right calls. Everyone folds to me on the button, I call. Small blind folds, big blind folds. 1,150 in pot.

Flop comes 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Original raiser checks, guy to my right checks I check.

Turn brings J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Original raiser bets 500, next to act raises to 1000. 2,150 in the pot, 500 to me. I put the original raiser on QJ or KJ maybe an overpair (doubtful since no bet on flop with possible flush draw). I have bad feeling re-raiser flopped a set so I fold.

River comes original raiser checks other guy raises. Original raiser calls showing KJ. Re-raiser shows a set of nines.

That is just the situation but my question is in my situation with two callers in front on the button would I be correct to call, fold or raise?

Also, on the turn if guy with the set had not raised but rather had called, I would have called. If he folded I would have raised, is this the correct move?

Also in general what do you guys think of AJ on the button with callers, with a raise, and with limpers?

Thanks a lot.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: AJ on button

Your play seems correct in this situiation. You want to isolate the loose raiser in this hand. Since you figure the middle man for a hand better than AJ you made the proper fold.

Had the middle guy just called you could also try to shove in a raise and see where that takes you.

When the middle man folds you should stick in a raise with the reads you have on the loose raiser.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:15 PM

Thats what I figured. I couldn't put the re-raiser on anything but a set with the check on the flop, raise on the turn unless he was making a play with a flush draw, straight draw or unless he also had top pair.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:57 PM

I fold PF.
Too often you are dominated, and if you make your hand it is often 2nd best.
Your situation is a lttle different, but the principle is the same.
Good fold.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 07-13-2005, 05:11 PM

I think you have a good read on this donk/assclown. Not sure what your read was on the caller, but you made a good read and laid this thing down. If the caller was not present, this was a clear re-raise. AJ is not a hand I get involved with, even with position, unless I am first to raise and in mid-late position... just so many hands that can beat you. Harrington talks about the hands that get people in the most trouble, AJ, KJ, AT & KQ. I tend to agree.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:19 PM

That makes a lot of sense, AJ is a troublesome hand. But if I know the first guy is an "ass-clown" and the caller is pretty solid, is it worth I call. I know I probably have the raiser beat, or at least am in decent shape, and is it safe to assume the caller can't have anything dominating (JJ, QQ, KK, AA, AK, AQ) because he didn't reraise?

Anyways I do like the play of folding A J (even in position) just wondering if I have those reads if calling is ok or if PF fold is the best option.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:59 AM

If you think your a good player and capable get out of some tricky situations when know your AJ is beat, I have no problem playing it as last to act in your situation, but you have the realize that the 1st caller could be on AK or AQ and you need to be cautious with him.
good read on the situation and nice laydown, tptk is def not good here against a bet and a raise (someone was def. slowplaying)

your boy from the CCC
theDetroitKid