Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 06-16-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Re: $2k NL....KK 3 handed

[ QUOTE ]
"If he then just calls that, then there will be nothing other than a blocking bet left for the river."

It seems like that after he bets the turn, there is going to be too much money in the pot to fold. Since you mentioned the option of a blocking bet on the river, I got the impression that you were saying that folding was an option at some point if the turn was bet.

"His reaction to a lead by you on the turn will probably provide the correct read on his hand in most cases, though AA probably would just call along behind. "

I don't get why AA would just call behind. It seems like an all-in or fold play might be most common, with the possible draws out and the amount of money that would be in the pot after you led the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding on the turn is a possible option if he were raised. And AA will call behind a lot more than you think since he has position and probably doesn't put hero on a draw. As for being pot committed after making a blocking bet, he might well be, with the result that if he is raised there he might make a player dependent decision to call to try to snap off a bluff.

This is all-around a difficult situation, though I believe it was necessarily made so because of a failure to either reraise preflop or checkraise the flop.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And AA will call behind a lot more than you think since he has position and probably doesn't put hero on a draw

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought it was clear, but the button did indeed fold the flop.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:56 PM

I'm votin for the all-in move on the flop. It sucks if he has a set but by your description of the guy it seems like the hand range is much wider 9T two hearts aj kj, pure bluff or two pair. If you lead some of your draws in this situation and make similar moves its possible he may misread it for an ace high flush draw and call with top pair and it will make him think twice about baby raising his draws. With 1200 in the pot on the turn and 2300 back, a stop and go commits you and if a heart comes it will take balls to fire possibly suicidally.

Another fun line taken straight from the low limit NL is to check call him down no matter what comes. It the riskiest but also may be the best against the guy who loves to bluff. It will slow him down considerably and probably have him talking to himself if he loses the hand. I play highly aggressive poker and this is the line that drives me crazy the most and is probably most effective against me.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:08 AM

I'm somewhat out of my element here, so I'd love to hear why this isn't necessarily a good idea, but I think my plan against an opponent who has been somewhat more aggressive than I think is optimal is to call with the plan of c/r'ing any non-heart turn. This hinges on me guessing that he'll bet again on the turn, of course, as I'm not enthusiastic about giving a free river with this board.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:09 AM

Im this spot I'm just trying to get my stack in the middle however I can on the flop.

-Jason
Old 06-17-2005, 12:16 AM

Default *RESULTS*

[ QUOTE ]
I'm votin for the all-in move on the flop. It sucks if he has a set but by your description of the guy it seems like the hand range is much wider 9T two hearts aj kj, pure bluff or two pair. If you lead some of your draws in this situation and make similar [all in] moves its possible he may misread it for an ace high flush draw and call with top pair and it will make him think twice about baby raising his draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, you just saved me 5 mins typing up that exact line of thought for the hand.

well done.

turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

river:3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I suckout g00t. he had J8o. whew.

after the hand i felt fishy all over, esp. with gonores watching, but thinking about it later, I still liked my play.

just wanted to check and make sure.

thanks guys,

fsuplayer
Old 06-17-2005, 12:21 AM

All in.