Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 08:26 PM

Default $2k NL....KK 3 handed

dont feel like looking up the hand history, but pretty sure I remember it correctly.

PP $2k, 3 handed.

pretty solid, but not overly scary regular opens to 70 on the button, I call with KK, BB a 38/20/4 (those stats are SH'd though.) he is slightly on the loose side, but a good bit more agg. than is prob. right. he has won several pots with aggression.

he calls.

flop J8h4h my kings are black.

i lead for 210, bb makes it 500.

after my bet, i have 2300 left. he has $5-6k.

whats my play from here?

thanks.

fsuplayer
Old 06-16-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Re: $2k NL....KK 3 handed

flop J8h4h my kings are black...

All hearts or J off suit?
Old 06-16-2005, 08:55 PM

sry, flop was J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Old 06-16-2005, 08:58 PM

I don't like "trapping" with AA/KK out of position like that and would have reraised preflop. Had I just called like you I would have checkraised the flop as well. Regarding how you actually played it, the choices are he either has AJ/KJ and is testing you, a flush draw trying to inhibit a turn bet if no heart appears, or a hand that beats yours. I would probably call and lead the turn if no heart appears and see what he does. If he then just calls that, then there will be nothing other than a blocking bet left for the river. His reaction to a lead by you on the turn will probably provide the correct read on his hand in most cases, though AA probably would just call along behind.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:03 PM

Button folds on flop I guess??

I like Bluffthis´s line (and agree that the trap is not something Im fond of OOP).
That said I´m not sure what Í´d do if a heart falls on the turn - and Im very interested in hearing more opinions.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:26 PM

i dont normally trap in that situation, but i had called several raises and pretty much check folded all but on in the last several orbits.

I had planned a big CR, but I didnt want to risk a free card on that drawy board.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:34 PM

How about all in after his raise on flop? Just a thought.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about all in after his raise on flop? Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

one i considered as well.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:06 PM

id def move allin on the flop if his raise wasnt so small... that tiny raise looks like a J or maybe a set... a draw seems unlikely, but who knows. there is a couple regalar multitable guys who play alot of short handed and always make these gay babyraises often with flush draw in pos. id still prob move in, but i dont love that... i feel like thats might be the best way to get it in against AJ. if he has a draw and folds... thats ok too.
BTW/ i think a stop and go is a pretty bad play here... if the turn blanks off and you 800, TP is going into the muck pretty fast... ppl dont really play draws/ bluffs like that.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:41 PM

"If he then just calls that, then there will be nothing other than a blocking bet left for the river."

It seems like that after he bets the turn, there is going to be too much money in the pot to fold. Since you mentioned the option of a blocking bet on the river, I got the impression that you were saying that folding was an option at some point if the turn was bet. However, you didn't say how much you advised the "hero" in the hand to bet, so I can't put exact numbers on it. I'll try some projected ones though, to see if I can understand this better:
Preflop pot has approx. 160
Flop - If hero in the hand calls the raise to 500, that would make the pot stand at about 1,160. Hero has 2,300 left. Assuming he bets 800 on the turn, he would have 1500 left and if only called on the turn there would be 2,760 in the pot on the river. In my opinion hero is pot committed if he bets the turn with 1500 left and 2760 in the pot. Anyobdy agree / disagree and if so why?

"His reaction to a lead by you on the turn will probably provide the correct read on his hand in most cases, though AA probably would just call along behind. "

I don't get why AA would just call behind. It seems like an all-in or fold play might be most common, with the possible draws out and the amount of money that would be in the pot after you led the turn.