Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2004, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Party Poker Button on Internet Explorer, can you say Invasive ! !

come on man, you're coming off like a real dickhead here. no need for personal insults! (like the one i just used)
Old 03-05-2004, 07:17 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

Oh, I'm not all that worked up about this; my own contribution was simply to observe that "it's just one button you can get rid of" isn't really a good justification for this. It's the exact same justification spammers use. Sure, if there were only one spammer in the world, and we only heard from him/her once in our lifetimes (or even once a month), it would be fine. But once one person came up with the idea, others followed, and now our email boxes are filled with it, forcing lots of people to spend considerable time working on ways to deflect most of the spam.

The same thing could happen with software, plug-ins, whatever; someone gets the bright idea of "enhancing" your experience by adding something to your computer without bothering with asking permission, and the next thing you know, they're all doing it. It's not something I want to have happen on a regular basis. I don't think what PP did was illegal or especially evil; I do think it was rude and inconsiderate, and I hope they'll knock it off. I'm not going to hold my breath and turn blue about it, though. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-Mike
Old 03-06-2004, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Party Poker Button on Internet Explorer, can you say Invasive ! ! !

This doesn't bother me nearly as much as them putting an icon on my desktop, the top of the start menu and a folder on the start menu, every time they update the software. Then Empire does the same thing 2 minutes later
Old 03-06-2004, 03:56 PM

You guys who aren’t concerned about this simply don’t understand the implications.

They have not just added an icon to your desktop or Start menu that you can easily and completely delete -- they have altered one of the programs on your computer. Yes, Internet Explorer is a program. Would it be OK with you if they also altered your word processor? Should they put a link into your spreadsheet? How about if they put a link into Doom, Quake, EverQuest, Ultima, whatever other games you might happen to have?

Sure, it’s only 100 characters of text. If every site you visited decided to put 100 characters of text into your Windows registry, your computer would come to a complete standstill in a matter of days.

I repeat, if you aren’t concerned about this, you simply don’t understand it.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Installs it on your other users too, with your PP login! Suckkks!

On my system (Windows XP Professional) the IE button was installed for all users, but the login is still only on my own account. If you're running Windows 9x/ME you have no real security anyway. I find the installation of the button annoying, and I would prefer that they (and others like yahoo instant messenger, AOL instant messenger, etc.) ask first, but I don't think it's the crime of the century.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:11 PM

Party didn't really modify Internet Explorer. They used a documented interface for adding buttons and menu items. Microsoft, <sarcasm>in their infinite wisdom</sarcasm>, put the interface there so OEM'S, ISP's, etc could offer customized versions of IE. I don't like the fact that Party did this without asking, because I really don't need the extra stuff cluttering up my toolbars and menus, but it's not enough to make me quit playing there, either.

I am more annoyed by the many application installs that install programs that run at startup, because they can really degrade performance when you accumulate too many of them. They invariably use Registry keys to do this, too, instead of the Startup folder of the start menu, which makes it more difficult than it needs to be to get rid of the clutter when you Pentium 3 starts to run like a 386.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:07 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

it's not a site, it's an intentionally installed application from an intentionally visited web site. most applications put much more information in the registry.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:18 PM

I would just like to thank you for this fix.

My wife nearly found out that I was playing online poker and u saved me just in time.... j/k

John

John
Old 03-06-2004, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Party Poker Button on Internet Explorer, can you say Invasive ! ! !

I don't give a sh*t about the button. But they raped the rebuy function. Now it's a pain in the *ss to rebuy. It's really annoying. I always want to have the max amount of $$$ on the table. When I play $100 tables for example and I call a small raise. Let's say $10. I want to rebuy for $10 right after that hand. So I can play with the full $100. It was already very hard to rebuy. When you tried to rebuy during a hand you would get a pop-up saying something about you'll get the money after the hand is finished. But that never worked. So when you played HU, you would never be able to rebuy. I don't know if they fixed it. But now you've to type in the amount. I get weird amounts. When I take a seat, I get amount to buy: 100.00.000? When I type $100 and then ok the amount changes to $100.000? WTF? VERY annoying!
I want the rebuys to go smoothly for several reasons. I want fish to rebuy, I want to have enough money to win a big pot.
Some of my friends tell me, why don't you try to win? So you don't have to reby. They're so funny, wait untill I see them next time. I'll do some kung fu [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] LOL
Message to Party: fix this problem.
When I lose my all-in and I'm tilt. I want to be able to rebuy right away. This is just not possible at party. Why don't they get some real engineers to work on the software.
And the thing is, I can't go play somewhere else like most of you guys say. This site is just too good to be true. Only the software and support is (let's say) "below average)