Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-29-2005, 08:08 PM

Default AJ vs I dont even know what to call him

Bad dude has no clue on pot odds, calls raises with any paint, is tricky. Has made some bad calls and is now at $3400 chips. only 20 hands into tournament.

5 limpers, I am BUT with AcJd

Flop comes Js 6d 2h POT 160

5 checks, I bet 120, 4 folds CO calls 120.

Turn comes Js 6d 2h Td POT 400

CO bets 150, I call.
I am starting to think this guy has a set considering how many limpers and that he called a large flop bet.

River comes Js 6d 2h Td As POT 700

CO pushs putting me all in for 1250, Hero?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Re: AJ vs I dont even know what to call him

Tough river spot; I'm really not sure what you should do. One argument for calling is that his big stack makes it psychologically easier for him to bluff here -- he knows that even if you call, he'll still have almost 2000 chips. Also, even if he's not trying to put you on a specific hand, your line probably looks pretty weak to him. You bet the flop in position, which you might do with lots of hands. Then you just called his small turn bet despite all the draws on the board. Plus even if he's not paying much attention, he may still have noticed that you're tight (I presume you are, maybe not?), since he's sitting right next to you.

I dunno. More thoughts later, maybe.

Also, I like a raise preflop with that many limpers.

Also, did you consider raising the turn? That might have prevented him from bluffing the river. On the other hand, it might have prompted a semi-bluff 3-bet, putting you to a tough decision. Also I guess if he just calls turn then bets river the pot might be too big for you to fold.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:44 PM

Your read was that he has no idea about pot odds yet you think that his call of a large bet means something?

I'd raise the turn.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:38 PM

Good point. I shoulda raise the turn. Phucker hit runner runner str8 with KQ. I called like a moron. Shoulda raised that turn. Think he still woulda pushed. I saw him do it before on just a draw
Old 12-29-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good point. I shoulda raise the turn. Phucker hit runner runner str8 with KQ. I called like a moron. Shoulda raised that turn. Think he still woulda pushed. I saw him do it before on just a draw

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a sec, why should you have raised the turn?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:47 PM

I raise the turn because the board just got very draw heavy, i still figure to have the best hand and villains bet looks like a blocking bet considering the size of the pot.

If he was a bad player who liked to try and be tricky i would suspect a set more if he check raised me on the turn rather than betting out.