Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 12-26-2005, 05:59 PM

Default dealers choice

playign a drunken dealers choice game tonight and I want my games to be interesting. any suggestions?? please give some rules and things. i chose triple flop hold em and 7 card razz last time, which i think is bush league.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Re: dealers choice

Are favorite ridiculous game is 'Kings and Little Men'. Everyone antes. Everyone is dealt 5 cards. Its a drop game, so on the count of 3 everyone declares "in" or "out". Those who stay in discard and draw to make a 5 card hand. Highest hand wins the pot. Those who stayed in and lost match the pot. So if three people stayed in, the pot is not twice the size. Game is over when one person stays in and beats a dummy hand which is played by the remaining players. Kings and smallest card in your hand after the draw is wild. So a hand of K447A is four aces with a 7 kicker.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:23 PM

I love Crazy Pineapple.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:42 AM

here's a few that come up in our drunken home games:

"Super Hold 'Em"-I think they're might be another name for it, but you're dealt 3 down cards, and then it's played like regular hold 'em, use any combination of the three in your hand and the 5 on the board

"Hold-'Em 64"-each player is dealt 4 down cards. the flop is 2 cards, the 'turns' are 2 cards, and the 'rivers' are 2 cards. make your best 5 card hand from any combination of the 4 in your hand and the 6 on the board. if you're sober enough, we occasionally play it with 2-7 lowball rules, and play it as a high/low split game
Old 12-27-2005, 03:55 AM

I guess I'm a little late for recommendations, Slim. Hopefully, you'll be playing in this game again.

The answer depends mostly on what you want from the game. If it's all about fun (and those kind of games can be a lot of fun), you can find hundreds of different games with just a little Internet searching. Just pick whatever amuses you and try it out.

We do a dealer's choice night once a year and we'll even make up a few games for it, ranging from the interesting to the ridiculous. Back when I first started hosting and it was dealer's choice every time, I swiped a few games from Poker Mike.

Of course, if you want to make money, things are different. Judging by your post count, you probably know at least a little about basic poker strategy. High-low or other split games (like Chicago) will favor you over those who don't have a clue.

Naturally, you also want to choose games in which the dealer's positional advantage is the greatest. If you can get away with it, high-low with a declare in order is a particularly profitable choice. People catch on quick, though. I haven't been able to pull off a call like that in over three years. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 02:09 PM

Draw and lowball games also have a significant positional advantage.