Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Help with preflop play for some specific hands

Ok, after 11k hands Im beating the party 25NL for 7BB/100 but after studying my poker tracker Im losing money with certain hands and I wanted to get some ideas on how else I should be playing them.

1) when do you limp or cold call a bet with suited connectors or small pocket pairs?

-would you be more inclined to play a 67s than a 45s? would you be more inclined to play a 77 than a 33?
-do you always fold these type of speculative hands from early and middle position?

2) do you ever limp with AQ from EP or is it automatically a raise from anywhere. When you do raise with AQ,AK but you are OOP and miss the flop will you check more often than you make a continuation bet?

3)When should I play AJ,KJ. I always fold these hands to a raise but I usually open with them from the button, co and co+1. should I be playing these differently?

I would like to hear some comments on how to play these hands preflop. I know it often depends on the type of table you are sitting at but lets make some generalisations. I think many people will have different opinions on this and personally I could crush the 25NL games if I tweaked a few of these things
Old 12-21-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Help with preflop play for some specific hands

dave,

just post the specific hands you're unsure of.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:02 PM

Its not any particular hand though. my main question is will you limp small pocket pairs and suited connectors from anywhere or will you strictly limit them to unraised pots when you have good position
Old 12-21-2005, 08:04 PM

1) 67s = 45s, 77 = 33 in my book. set over set, or straight over straight is rare enough to be irrelevant. I play all pairs from all positions. Low SC's can be folded in EP, as you'll often end up playing a draw OOP, which is bad. I coldcall most raises in position with any low-mid pair or SC (except 32s)

2) I generally raise AQ from UTG, but limping it is ok. If i miss the flop OOP, i'll usually c-bet, unless there are several opponents or a very dangerous board for my hand.

3) AJ/KJ/KQ are much better played when you are the aggressor. I open raise with AJ/KQ in MP/LP, KJ in LP. I rarely call raises with them, unless i have a good reason to do so based on the opponent and situation.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its not any particular hand though. my main question is will you limp small pocket pairs and suited connectors from anywhere or will you strictly limit them to unraised pots when you have good position

[/ QUOTE ]

limp w/ pocket pairs early raise the bigger ones 88+ if folded to you in CO.

suited connectors play only on the button for now if there is one limper.