Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-04-2005, 12:49 AM

Default Can I extract more from this flush?

I don't usually raise this PF, but I hadn't picked up a real hand in the CO in a while, and I thought it was OK with position. SB is a good player who doesn't seem to get out of line. I haven't seen him call real raises out of position with junk suited aces or kings, and I'm pretty sure he'd reraise pf with AKs most of the time. I think he thinks I bet too much (he's right, but that's at least partly because I'm running very hot) and I think he may be trying to trap me. A standard continuation bet for me is $3-4 here. I'm very convinced that he doesn't have the nut flush when he calls the turn, for what that's worth.

Given all of that, how do you think I played the hand?

Assuming that I'm right, and that he has a real hand here, is there any way to extract more money from him? I never overbet the river with these stacks, either with a real hand or as a bluff. Should I? Similarly, I never bet something tiny on the river here, like $5, either as a weak bet or a phony bluff. Should I?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, 0.50$ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP ($35.93)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($175.46)</font>
Button ($52.40)
<font color="#C00000">SB ($125.65)</font>
BB ($51.20)
UTG ($49.25)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($4.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, SB calls $4.

Turn: ($12.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, SB calls $10.

River: ($32.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>...
Old 12-04-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Can I extract more from this flush?

Do you seriously think there is anything you could have done differently with this hand?
Old 12-04-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you seriously think there is anything you could have done differently with this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
I honestly don't know. Right after playing the hand, I was sure there was something I could have done differently. While typing it in, I became less sure. The only things I could really think of are seriously overbetting or seriously underbetting. I had a strong read that the other guy had a real hand, so I thought this might be a place for one of those things. Like I said before, with these stacks, I really never make serious underbets or overbets. Should I, or do you think the hand really plays itself on the later streets?

Since I started actually thinking about poker and recording hands, I have fewer than 10K total hands. I very recently switched to 6-max, and I have ~2K total 6-max hands, so I'm still quite the newbie.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:00 AM

standard play, nothing to worry about here. I like the river bet if you think he has a genuine hand otherwise 20 looks 20-25 looks better
Old 12-04-2005, 05:24 AM

looks great to me.. pot pot pot
Old 12-04-2005, 07:02 AM

If you slightly overbet the flop the pots 15 going into the turn. Bet 15 on the turn and then the pots 45 going into the river. Bet 45 on the river. This line nets you and extra 21 dollars.

If you think villain can't fold a set pushing the river is a decent option to. It looks like he's in check call mode make him pay. The overbet only needs to get called 1/3 of the time that a pot sized bet get calls to be more profitable so it might be worth a try.

Underbet sucks he'll just call it.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:49 AM

Thanks. Good thoughts. I'll think about mixing in larger continuation bets. I don't think he would've called such a large overbet with a set ... but maybe he would call that more than I think. 1/3 of the time isn't *that* often.