Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 07:39 PM

Default JJ Facing Flop Heat

This first post does not reveal much of the hand action...just want to see how people would play it given the action.

My response to this post includes how I played it and some questions.

The third one has results.

Thanks in advance.

No read on villian. Hero is on button with JJ.

Seat 1: wolan666 ($51.05 in chips)
Seat 2: silvertoad ($37.25 in chips)
Seat 3: Hero [J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] ($198.85 in chips)
Seat 4: marbio82 ($57.50 in chips)
Seat 5: wjwitt ($29.50 in chips)
Seat 6: csmooth02 ($61.75 in chips)
Seat 7: Villian ($45.05 in chips)
Seat 8: Ficek ($56.05 in chips)
Seat 9: rytoast ($55.05 in chips)
Seat 10: J__D ($48.75 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
marbio82 posts blind ($0.25), wjwitt posts blind ($0.50).

PRE-FLOP
1 fold, Villian bets $2, 5 folds, Hero bets $7, 2 folds, Villian calls $5. ($14.75)

FLOP 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villian bets $10, Hero????
Old 10-04-2005, 07:43 PM

Default JJ Facing Flop Heat...My Action/Questions

Hero is on button with JJ
PRE-FLOP
1 fold, Villian bets $2, 5 folds, Hero bets $7, 2 folds, Villian calls $5. ($14.75)

FLOP 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villian bets $10, Hero???? bets 38.05, Villian calls $28.05 and is all-in. ($89. 85)

TURN 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
($89.85)

RIVER K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
( Final Pot: $89.85 )

Questions regarding this hand:

1. Preflop: Can I smooth call this on the button for deception? The only people left to act are the blinds. Or should I just raise? What is a good situation for both (type of player villian is, number of people in hand, etc?)

2. Verses an unknown villian in 50 max NL what should my general play be when holding an overpair but villian's range also includes higher overpairs?

3. Smoothcall the flop and see if he slows down on a non overcard turn?

4. I put villian's range on AQ, AK, and 77-AA. But the reason I raised the flop was that I thought villian would reraise QQ-AA, maybe even AK PF. Obviously, this is just an assumption given no reads. How would construct a reasonable range against an unknown villian??

Any other comments appreciated...results in next reply.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:44 PM

Default JJ Facing Flop Heat...Results

SHOWDOWN
Hero shows [ J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
Villian shows [ K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
Villian wins $89.85.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: JJ Facing Flop Heat

Anyone??
Old 10-04-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Re: JJ Facing Flop Heat

[ QUOTE ]
This first post does not reveal much of the hand action...just want to see how people would play it given the action.

My response to this post includes how I played it and some questions.

The third one has results.

Thanks in advance.

No read on villian. Hero is on button with JJ.

Seat 1: wolan666 ($51.05 in chips)
Seat 2: silvertoad ($37.25 in chips)
Seat 3: Hero [J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] ($198.85 in chips)
Seat 4: marbio82 ($57.50 in chips)
Seat 5: wjwitt ($29.50 in chips)
Seat 6: csmooth02 ($61.75 in chips)
Seat 7: Villian ($45.05 in chips)
Seat 8: Ficek ($56.05 in chips)
Seat 9: rytoast ($55.05 in chips)
Seat 10: J__D ($48.75 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
marbio82 posts blind ($0.25), wjwitt posts blind ($0.50).

PRE-FLOP

Villian bets $10, Hero????

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, hero pays off the shortstack otherwise you don't post this here. Guy has what, 90BB or something vs your 400BB. It's a clear sucker bet - you are not going to fold even AK here most of the time, but whatya gonna do? Calling here is also fine. Villain played his overpair very well; there is a huge range of hands you would've to put him on after the limp/call. Is going to get you every time I'm afraid without ESP or psychic abilities.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: JJ Facing Flop Heat...My Action/Questions

I might smooth call this preflop, and look to steal on a low flop/hope to hit a J.

Since you reraised, and he lead into you on the flop, he pretty much either has missed overs and wants to steal, or has you beaten. Raising the flop is terrible here, since he certainly folds when behind and certainly calls when ahead.

This is an easy call on the flop. He's only got one pot size bet left on the turn, so you may decide to call if he bets again on the turn. But even that line has a much higher EV than raising yourself on the flop.

If you're committed to getting all in, do it in the way that gets villain to go with you with the weakest hands. This line is clearly to call the flop and let him bet the turn, or bet when he checks to you.