Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 03-15-2005, 02:45 AM

Default general advice for a limit player in NLHE tourney

hi,
im usually roaming around the limit boards, but ive been trying to get by NL tourney skills up. I have some general strategy questions for a tourney that is taking place this weekend at my school.

here are the details of the tourney.
$50 buy in
Prizes: (Prize pool: $1500 ~ (based on 30 man field)

1st $750 (50%)
2nd $375 (25%)
3rd $225 (15%)
4th $150 (10%)

Players start with $10,000 in chips.
Rounds last one hour
Round blinds ante
1 25/50
2 50/100
3 100/200
4 100/200 25
5 200/400 50
6 300/600 50
7 400/800 100
8 600/1200 100
9 800/1600 200
10 1000/2000 200
11 1500/3000 300
12 2500/5000 500

Now, the tourneys that i usually play in, espicially at school, have blinds that start much higher and increase much faster. how should these blinds and rounds change my game? should i be raising less in the early rounds and limping more hoping to win some monster pots?

General advice would be greatly appreciated.
most of the opposition is weak, mainly loose/passive, with a few good players, but i know the good ones and think that i can outplay them.

thanks
-light
Old 03-15-2005, 03:43 AM

Default Re: general advice for a limit player in NLHE tourney

Don't bluff bad players. Make value bets with hands you are only mildly pleased with. Steal raise to pick up these high antes whenever you can. Be patient, loose, weak players love giving you their chips - they live for it. But they only do it when they want to, so you just gotta wait til they feel like it. Don't get tight near the end, in fact, get looser and more agro.

This is where your tourney career begins. Future competition will be much tougher, but many of the same lessons will apply, so learn well.

luck,
CSC
Old 03-15-2005, 03:58 AM

Wow, this is a fantastic structure. I think a 4-person payout is too small for 30 people, but that's just me. I wish I could get a tournament like that going at school.

Anyway, this is a very deepstacked tournament. You're starting with 200BB's, and with hour levels, there is a lot of play to this structure. You want to start out VERY tight. Try not to play big pots early.

If there is a lot of limping going on, ONLY limp with good multi-way pot hands, such as suited connectors and one gappers (67s and up, 79s and up), Axs and pairs. Just limp with all pairs up to about jacks and play for set value. Avoid hands like KJo, QJo and A9o like the plague in multi-way pots. This is especially important since you are a limit player. These hands tend to make a lot of second-best hands in limped pots and can cost you dearly.

As the tourney advances, you want to get more aggressive. Players tend to tighten up as you near the final table, and then again as you near the money. When it reaches 2 shorthanded tables (11-14 people left) play very aggressively against players just trying to make the final table. When you're in position, attack the blinds and pick up the antes/blinds. As you near the money, players will again tighten up and try to slide into the money. ATTACK THEM. I can't stress this enough. Assuming your opponents are standard college players, they will be happy to go into a shell to try and money. The easiest way to accumulate chips is to figure out which players are trying to slide into the money and attack them relentlessly, especially when it gets to about 7-handed on the final table. If anyone else is attacking as well, try to trap them with a monster.

With the payout structure the way it is, you really want to attack and win this thing. If you bust out 6th when you could have slid into the money, so what? Accumulation is the key as you get into the latter stages.

I would also suggest adjusting the pay structure to pay out 5 and maybe even 6 players, and make it a flatter structure (more even money). This is a long tournament; it sucks to play all day and bust on the bubble.

Hope this helps. Goodluck.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:47 PM

thanks a ton, this really clears some things up. I'm used to pushing small edges a lot in limit ring games, but i have to remember that even 60/40 isnt that great odds, if that 40% of the time you bust out of the money. thanks again
-light