Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 01-04-2005, 01:44 AM

Default Bad time to raise for a free card?

hey, this happened last nite,
MP2 is 33/4, Button is 44/0 (only 15 hands), SB is 41/13, BB is 26/4

How is this line? I was able to get the pot HU on the flop which was nice. Should I have bet the turn? or checked behind? Also, is the flop raise a bad idea to figure out where i stand, and to limit the field?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 (poster) calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (7 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: 8 BB
Old 01-04-2005, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Bad time to raise for a free card?

hmmm... I though about this for a while. This confuses me. What hands does he bet into a the preflop raiser with against a field of 5? It is so hard to assume competancy even with 26/4. Any other reads has he been known to c/r ever or do you have a Postflop AF? I'm thinking if he has a 4 or 99 that he would c/r you to get a bunch of bets in the pot. If he knew that you would raise overcards then he might try this with say 9x or TT or JJ. I understand why you're baffled here.
Anyway, IMO your raise doesn't free up any outs. A9 or K9 I don't think is folding and there just really aren't any A or K outs that you can clear up here. No draws exist. I think this play is wrong. You are just folding out people that could put money in the pot if you do hit and aren't up against a 4. Trying for a free card is just bad here. You have 2 people to act behind you (which could just add bets to the pot and help you out).
Old 01-04-2005, 04:47 AM

Also I think you are behind on the turn, you should check behind. This might be different if you knew opponent was laggy. Usually PF weakness means postflop weakness (NOT ALWAYS!) which is why I asked for an aggresion factor. I just don't think he bluffs like this into this many opponents.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:55 AM

I like it... not every pot needs to be a big one and most people would have bailed on the turn on that hand anyway. You found out cheaply where you were at and got the frre river