Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 01-03-2005, 01:15 AM

Default How bad is this line?

Hi,
First session of the new year. I felt confused on what to do in this hand. I've been trying to vary my play a bit, because ive been a bit too check-raise happy for a while. But I'm pretty sure that i screwed up here. Do you think i should've
A)bet the flop
B) check/called the flop and led the turn
C) c/r the turn
D) other

UTG+2 is 44/6/.5, MP1 is 47/10.6/1.1, CO is 40/2.4/.8

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds.

Turn: (5.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>
Old 01-03-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Re: How bad is this line?

This board really messes me up, so I kinda know what you were going through as it played out.

I think betting the flop is mandatory. It's expected of a PFR, and the field knows that the flop only helped a couple of the possible hands that you could have raised with. If you're lucky, CO really does have a T &amp; would raise you, allowing you to call &amp; hope for overcalls (or more bets on later streets if the other limpers folded to your bet).

That's where things get loopy. CO is never going to put you on QQ until it's too late, but if you c/r after the J hits the board on the turn, he'll assume you have AK in a heartbeat. So I think check/call becomes the play here again, hoping for an extra bet or two on the river.

But then the 9 comes, and screws everything up. There's a fair chance that CO will check behind unless he has the K, in which case there's a good chance he'll raise you before he stops to think that he loses to almost every PFR hand now. Maybe you're really lucky and he filled out a lower boat on the turn or river, who knows. Anyway, I like betting here, and of course 3-bet if raised.

Tough hand, I seriously doubt that my line is significantly better (if at all) in this hand.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:45 AM

bet the flop...you dont make money by squeezing out an extra BB from a guy holding a dry ace...you make money by pumping the guys holding a T or OESD the whole way.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:22 AM

I would have check/called the flop then cr the turn