Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Opinions in Hellmuth\'s million dollar system

The popular opinion is negative, I'm sure, because 2+2ers love to rag on Hellmuth's book, but when I filter just the hands Hellmuth considers the Top Ten in Play Poker Like the Pros (which are 12 in number if you count AKo/AKs and AQo/AQs as distinct), I find that those hands have made me a huge chunk of my profits this month over 22,000 hands played.

For instance, I've made $4763 in positions outside of the blinds. Of that total, the Top Ten Hands have made $3871. I'm going to guess that it's true most poker players make the bulk of their profits off these Top Ten Hands. The very good players make more money on their marginal situations, but I think that comes with experience rather than book/dvd knowledge.

To say that this strategy isn't optimum is one thing. To say it's a money loser, as others have posted in the past, is false.

I have Howard Lederer's video also, and his no-limit strategy is vanilla as well, though it allows for 25 hands played.

I don't think the bare bones strategies Hellmuth and Lederer suggest are attempts to cash in as much as they are attempts to teach the fundementals.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:21 AM

Well for sure when you have the mathematical edge and play those hands you'll make money in the long run. However you have to consider the typy of persons this DVD is sold to.

Those are people who aren't (for the most) willing to put as much time as even a novice 2+2ers (as me) put into the game. Those hands sure gives him the edge against any micro limit.

I'm still at micro myself, making a profit so far and learning but to learn you have to try.

My opinion dictate that to learn you have to go out of those hands...sure you don't have the mathematical edge pre flop...but the flop/turn/river aren't there for nothing...there are odds you'll hit it on the flop, etc.

While I like Hellmuth's play I still think that for a title that big he needed to show more in the video.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:31 PM

I watched Howard's first DVD last night and couldn't believe how tight his hand chart was.

But he was only trying to teach you a basic but solid way to play and so for the beginner these DVDs do have some value.