Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 02:37 AM

Default 2006max flopped boat against a tricky opp too tight on river?

Its very unlike me to play this tight. But i felt that this was one of those way ahead way behind hands. I thought there was no way he would call a big bet on the river and i didnt want to value bet and leave the door open from my oppenent. Although he played this one miserably, he was a tough match all night. We tried to stay away from each other. Comments welcome on all streets is check calling the river to weak tight?
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

CO ($91)
Button ($22.6)
Hero ($661.4)
BB ($138.11)
UTG ($644.84)
MP ($197)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4, 3. Hero posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $2, 1 fold, CO calls $2, Button calls $2, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($10) 3, 4, 3 (5 players)
Hero checks, BB bets $10, UTG calls $10, CO folds, Button folds, Hero raises to $35, BB folds, UTG calls $25.

Turn: ($90) 7 (2 players)
Hero bets $75, UTG calls $75.

River: ($240) K (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Final Pot: $240

Results in white below:
Hero has 4s 3c (full house, threes full of fours).
UTG has 7s 5c (two pair, sevens and threes).
Outcome: Hero wins $240.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:39 AM

Default Re: 2006max flopped boat against a tricky opp too tight on river?

eww

I dont like checking after betting $75 on the turn IMO. Although i am nowhere near as experienced as some other posters on here that may reply, i just dont like that fact. Other than that looks standard. I think i at least value bet the river.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2005, 08:59 AM

I think you get called by A3 and 56 here (+53 maybe) although he'll bet these if you check. You fear K3, 77, 44. Since you've played with him for a bit you may be able to exclude 77 and 44, if he raises these preflop, and he may not be playing K3 UTG. I know you're deep but it may be that you really like to get raised here. It really depends on the how rational you know him to be but insanity is suprisingly possible.

There shouldn't be many hands he could hold that he wants to bluff with. I always surprised what people will crying call a big bet with on the river. Give them the chance to make a mistake.

I check/call or bet the flop to avoid giving my hand away and give a chance for someone to hit a straight but this hand is vulnerable so maybe that's not right. It also keeps the pot smaller which you may want.

James
Old 07-10-2005, 09:12 AM

wow, UTG played terrible in this hand. it looks extremely unlikely that you are behind imo. a small river bet between 80 and 150 looks fine to me. after this guy called with total garbage on the flop (twice) and on the turn he may very well donate more money.
and i would call a reraise of any size.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:08 AM

I think there's a possibiliy your tough opponent realizes that you can probably bluff at a board that looks great for a SB. I think that he may have stuck around after the flop because his plan was to play back at you a little to see if he could push you off the winning hand. Then, on the turn, his hand really improved, so he had incentive to draw instead of try and just bluff you out. Finally, the check on the river was made because a) your check was scary and confusing; and b) he suspected that he had a winner and didn't want to open the door for you to go ovet the top if he bet out.

Sure, you could worry about 77 or 44, but I wouldn't. I think that most of the time people play back at you on the turn with these hands fearing that a flat call will scare non-premium hands into checking the river. Which, of course, it did...

Marlow
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]