Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2004, 01:12 AM

Default Silly Suited Connector Hand

I finally had a horrible session at Party 1/2 and am now in the red since moving up. I think today's session was a bit of an anomaly as I didn't have AA once in 300 hands, KK stole the blinds once, QQ got cracked by T5o (thanks weekend 1/2 players) the only time I had it, never had JJ or TT, and 99 lost 3 times. Oh and I never had a set.

Sorry this wasn't intended as a whine, but a question on a hand or two (I'll post a couple hands separately)...

Here is one:

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets, CO calls, Button raises, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, Button bets, Hero raises, CO calls, Button 3-bets, Hero caps, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (17 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets, CO calls, Button raises, Hero calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 23 BB

Read on button was "LAGgy".

Thanks,
DeathDonkey
Old 08-16-2004, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Silly Suited Connector Hand

Check/call the river. The board is paired, you've endured a big raising war on the turn and the river puts a 3-flush out there. You could easily have the third best hand here.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:21 AM

I bet the turn, unless I am positive the button will bet (i.e. he wasnt going for the free card), that way you trap the CO in between. Also if the button is laggy he might raise you, giving you the chance to 3 bet.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:26 AM

Firstly I wouldnt be playing this hand from MP2, not unless it was an extremely loose table.

After the flop I am limping from MP2, you have 2nd pair with a weak kicker and someone probably is on a flush draw, I'd fold to a bet here.

The turn, checkraise is fair enough but I would be very nervous after the 3bet.

The river, well if you arent beaten already you should be beat by a flush now. The players have to be pretty bad to call with anything less.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:27 AM

This is probably a close call from MP2, but I expected to take the flop at least 5 handed, and that meets my criteria for playing middle suited connectors.

Folding to a bet on the flop with 2nd pair and this board would be very weak. Since it was checked to me, I thought it likely my hand was best.

Based on my read the turn 3 bet didn't tell me much except "he has something". My read may have been wrong, but I've got a pretty good hand at this point.

On the river, your rationale is as weak-passive as it gets...If I'm not beaten already I SHOULD be beat by a flush now? If your expectation is to lose on the river, you will probably succeed in fulfilling that prophecy. And about the players needing to be pretty bad to call with anything I beat...where do you play that someone is folding a ten here? I wouldn't be surprised to see a four call either.

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-16-2004, 11:29 AM

Hi SoCalPat,

Yep your right, this was a bad river bet. And I'm sad to say I was in third place...the whole way!

Button had TT and other opponent had 44...it was a rough day

Thanks,
DeathDonkey