Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 02:55 AM

Default \'Islam is the official religion of the state\'

I'm curious. How do you Republicans justify American soldiers fighting and dying for this (actual text of the proposed Iraqi Constitution ):

[ QUOTE ]
Islam is the official religion of the state and is a basic source of legislation:
(a) No law can be passed that contradicts the undisputed rules of Islam

[/ QUOTE ]

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:rZKJQ6wiTLAJ:news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/24_08_05_constit.pdf+"Iraqi+constitution"&hl=e n]

So how do you guys justify American deaths over this? I thought we were supposed to bring freedom and democracy to Iraq. Instead, we've brought a religious theocracy. I am appalled at what is happening in Iraq and have no idea how any person that believes in democracy can support more American Soldier deaths over this joke of a constitution.

Oh, and we have very democratically ensured that it will pass because:

[ QUOTE ]
For the referendum to fail, two-thirds of the voters in three of Iraq's 19 provinces must reject it.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/12765217.htm

It's hard to argue that America hasn't rigged this referendum when it takes a two-thirds majority to reject the proposed constitution as opposed to a two-thirds majority to accept.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: \'Islam is the official religion of the state\'

That's a really wierd voting structure. You need a two thirds majority to reject, but you only need that two thirds majority in 3 of the 19 provinces. I'm not even sure what that is suppose to mean/represent.

As for the main question, it invalidates the entire war.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a really wierd voting structure. You need a two thirds majority to reject, but you only need that two thirds majority in 3 of the 19 provinces. I'm not even sure what that is suppose to mean/represent.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was designed to make sure the Kurds had the power to reject it.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:32 AM

Couldn't it be rejected by any small minority. For instance, if the three provinces around Fullujah don't like it its gone.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be fooled. What it means is that 65% of the people in every province could vote against it and it would still pass. Praise Allah! After years of tyrannical oppression, America has brought freedom and democracy to the Iraqi people!
Old 10-02-2005, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't it be rejected by any small minority. For instance, if the three provinces around Fullujah don't like it its gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly. However the intent was what I described.

THere's now an argument as to whether it has to be rejected by two thirds of people who vote in those provinces, or two thirds of people eligible to vote; apparently the wording is unclear. The latter seems ridiculous to me but will probably be enforced IMO; and with AQ in Iraq vowing to stop people voting and at their most effective in Sunni provinces, there's no way two thirds of eligible voters will even turn out.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:49 AM

It also means 100% of the people in 16 provinces could vote for it and 67% of the people in 3 provinces could vote against and it be rejected.

The range of possible overall affrim/reject %s can range widely in either end outcome.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would it be accurate to say that it was also designed to make sure that the Sunnis could not reject it?
Old 10-02-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would it be accurate to say that it was also designed to make sure that the Sunnis could not reject it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. But if they decide to enforce a two-thirds of eligible voters interpretation, I'd say that would be the reasoning behind it.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to argue that America hasn't rigged this referendum when it takes a two-thirds majority to reject the proposed constitution as opposed to a two-thirds majority to accept.

[/ QUOTE ]

...but it's very easy to argue pretty much anything when you make your facts up. The Iraqi Constitution needs to be adopted by a simple majority of the population. However, even if it is adopted by that majority (which is a virtual certainty), the constitution can still be blocked by a two-thirds vote against in three provinces.

link (see Article 61)

Got it?