Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 12-16-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Job That Couples Well w/ Online Poker On The Side?

I'm a professional office drone, and it works well for me. When I'm not working on something, I can browse 2+2 so that when I get home I'm prepped to play. You might also consider something like night security where you just have to sit and watch a monitor. Or another graveyard type shift where you'll have a lot of free time where you may even get to be able to play some poke while you're working.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I teach high school - its perfect. Lots of time off.
Summers to play full time. You could take some extra classes to get your teachers license and teach physics or math

[/ QUOTE ]

Intersting discussion... So how does one go about becoming a teacher? I'm in my mid 30's and currently work as a IT professional. Is mid 30's too late to consider this?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Intersting discussion... So how does one go about becoming a teacher? I'm in my mid 30's and currently work as a IT professional. Is mid 30's too late to consider this?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's never too late. Plenty of people quit their careers to become teachers. I know a man that did it when he was in his late 40s.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:48 PM

Another vote here for office drone. A data entry job with no stress, benefits, completely flexible hours and an moderate salary allows me to play as much or as little poker on the side, whenever I want to.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's never too late. Plenty of people quit their careers to become teachers. I know a man that did it when he was in his late 40s.

[/ QUOTE ]

So how does one go about making this switch? I assume it involves going back to school and getting some kind of a license. How long does this process take?
Old 12-16-2005, 04:01 PM

How the hell can anyone recommend being an office drone?

It's a craptacular life.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So how does one go about making this switch? I assume it involves going back to school and getting some kind of a license. How long does this process take?

[/ QUOTE ]

It largely depends on what state you want to teach in and the age level. For example, CT is pretty strict. If you want to teach there then you will need to get certified (multiple ways to go about doing this and depends how many education credits you have and if they are transferable). You also need a masters degree to continue teaching after 5 years. This means that I basically need to go back to school and enroll in a certification/masters program that takes 1.5-2 years, since I don't feel like taking classes while teaching.

Now, other states differ. A lot depends on how badly they need you. Some states will hire anyone. Also, if want to teach highschool you generally have to have majored in that subject or taken a lot of credits in it. For example, I minored in math so if I want to get certified to teach high school math in CT I will probably need to pick up some more math credits to do so...which is insanity because I fail to see how taking complex analysis will help me teach geometry/algebra/calculus.

If you want to teach elementary school then I believe you basically need to have majored in education or taken a ton of education courses to teach in most states. I am not sure how middle school works.

I know some states have methods for certification that are available to people who are switching careers. It makes it a lot easier. The man I know had a masters in Chemistry and was retiring early from his company. Since he had a masters already the switch did not take that long.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:25 PM

CIA field operator. Low stress, good pay, plenty benefits, license to kill.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How the hell can anyone recommend being an office drone?

It's a craptacular life.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a life. It's a job.

Very important distinction. I work with many people who have trouble separating the two. They are generally unhappy...

If you have a reasonable office job that doesn't take up too much time or energy, this can pay your bills while looking respectable to the world and allowing you to pursue other interests in your spare time (e.g., poker).

It's not for everyone, but that is pretty much what OP was asking for.

Had he asked for inspiring, meaningful, satisfying, life affirming work, office drone wouldn't be such a good option... In that case, I would suggest he go to grad school, get Ph.D.'s in physics and math, and solve the problem of quantum gravity.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and solve the problem of quantum gravity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, no!. There's a problem with quantum gravity? [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]