Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 06-26-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Show me a good bluff....PLEASE!

[ QUOTE ]
i didnt read that whole thread, but his bluff at the end is nice, but his turn is horible.

[ QUOTE ]
GoG hand

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...t=all&vc=1

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is his turn so bad? He figured his outs were relatively disguised, so he would get paid off.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:49 PM

seems like a perfect turn card to bluff, and if you get reraised your outs arent good anyway

its theoretically better to draw to the nuts and attempt to take control of pots when you have non nut outs that you dont mind being pushed off of

this isnt my reasoning, its from the likes of limon, ciaffone, etc
Old 06-26-2005, 07:27 PM

as an interesting contradiction to this see GoG's latestposted hand, bluffing the missed double gutter on a paired board...
Old 06-26-2005, 07:54 PM

Some hand I played today at 2/4...

Two people limp, sb calls, I check in BB with K2o.

Flop is Q53 checked around.

Turn is 4. SB bets $5, I call, limpers fold.

River 7, SB bets $4, I raise to $24.

Nice and simple... my bluff represents a specific hand, my actions on every street are consistent with the hand I'm representing on the end, and it is reasonable for me to assume that my opponent does not have the same hand that I am representing. I'm risking $24 to win $30 on the end and I have every reason to believe I will take the pot more than half of the time. +EV.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:10 AM

I try to bluff simply when I think the other player will fold enough of the time to make my bluff profitable. There are too many situational applications for this to list here. I think bluffing should be profitable when thinking clearly about it in terms of EV. Then its simply a matter of finding +EV opportunities. Many opponents look at your play through their own eyes. The same bluffs work time and again against the same type of opponents in the same situations. In some cases its when the bluffs stop working that biggest rewards follow, after adpating.

Taking this to the next logical level, you sometimes dont need good cards to make money, just good situations.
Bingo
Old 06-27-2005, 03:01 PM

I also bluff rarely, as I normally play against weak enough competition that bluffing isn't profitable. But when a big pot arises, sometimes I can't help myself.

Here's a hand from the 2-4 NL game at Foxwoods:

I'm BB with Qd-7d. UTG posts a straddle for no real reason, and he's not been playing wildly at all. Three callers, so I call, and UTG raises it to $53 total. Two limpers call, so I decide to call for whatever reason. Flop comes J-10-4 rainbow. SB checks, I think for a while, check, and the raiser fires $100 into the ~$220 pot. Two folds to me, and I go in the tank, thinking how I can steal this. I give him a look, tell him he either has "what I think he has, or what I don't want him to have"... and call. Turn is a blank 2, and I fairly quickly say "$250". I haven't even put my chips into the pot yet when he angrily flings his cards across the table, revealing what I thought: A-K.

Of course, I can't flip my cards over fast enough, and the guy tells me what a "stupid play" it was.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:28 AM

Don't mean to resurrect this thread, but I just pulled off this one and thought I'd share.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($1219.25)
BB ($1559.75)
UTG ($1127)
UTG+1 ($2283)
MP1 ($980)
MP2 ($1032)
MP3 ($1041)
CO ($1161.75)
Hero ($968)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $10, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $20</font>, Hero calls $20, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls $10.

Flop: ($75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $40</font>, Hero calls $40, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: ($155) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets $100</font>, Hero calls $100.

River: ($355) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $250</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: $605
Old 06-29-2005, 02:39 AM

recently played live hand:

tight player raises in EP, three callers, i call with 45[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

flop: j67 two hearts

bet, call

turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

check, pot, fold.

the key to bluffing for me is this:

Bluffing is a tool used against players who are too good for the conventional array of weapons (value bets, position raises etc.). if someone will call you with one pair to the felt, you're a fool for trying to bluff him. once players learn to lay down hands you must punish them both for the times and places where they are overly cautions (mostly semibluffs) and overly attached to their hands (value bets). FWIW, even at the bigger games i've played the vast majority of your money comes from players who like one pair too much.

fim