Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Is this a retarded lay down w/ 99?

On Empire Poker. BN in the hand has stats of 71/7/0.29/39/36 after 45 hands.

The min-raise, coupled with his PFR made me think I was, at best, in a race, likely way behind. His stack is so short and it seemed rather pointless to call. Thoughts?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button ($14.85)
SB ($27.80)
BB ($20.45)
UTG ($87.15)
MP ($11.46)
Hero ($75.95)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25. MP posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $6.5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $11.25
Old 11-04-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Is this a retarded lay down w/ 99?

Raise less preflop (first time I say this at 2+2). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think the fold is OK.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:26 PM

you have no implied odds on the call if he has a pair higher than your 9's, but you do have plenty good odds to call if it's a race as there is some dead money in there to begin with that makes calling way +ev if it's a race....against a donkey short stack with this clowns stats I call every time. Expect to be behind TT-AA about 25% of the time, racing about 50%, and way ahead of something stupid like A2 25% of the time.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:30 PM

I definitely think it's TT+ here at least about 75% of the time, with AK or AQ I think he just push (if he wants to play the hand) so he get some fold-equity.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:34 PM

Button's stack isn't deep enough to play for set value. If you think your hand is best, then put him all in preflop. If you suspect he probably has a higher pair (which is likely given his low preflop raise number), then folding is better. Calling with his short stack size is worse than raising him all in, and folding is probably better than raising given his PT stats.

EDIT: Why the huge preflop raise with 99? That just seems odd.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:51 PM

Regarding the size of my PFR, my standard raise is 6BB + 1BB for each limper.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:13 PM

If I'm reading the stats correctly, villain has only 7% PFR and near non-existant aggression. Reraising what was already a huge raise from hero doesn't seem like the type of thing he would do without a very good hand. Unless he's just completely gone on tilt, I don't see A2 being anywhere near his range. I'd put him on AA-TT, AK, and maybe AQ. Also, the fact that it was a minraise suggests that he wants a call. If he was bluffing with garbage, wouldn't he raise enough to have a reasonable chance of getting hero to fold?
Old 11-04-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How's this working for you?
Old 11-04-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been working fine, from what I can tell. I've only been playing NL50 for just over two months now, so I don't have a huge sample set to evaluate. When I played NL25 I tinkered with various sizes and finally arrived at the 6BB + 1 for each limper default. Then, around the time I was moving up to NL50, part of a post by fimbul recommended the same 6BB raise amount (until NL100 or NL200 I think it was), so I've just stuck with it.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been working fine, from what I can tell. I've only been playing NL50 for just over two months now, so I don't have a huge sample set to evaluate. When I played NL25 I tinkered with various sizes and finally arrived at the 6BB + 1 for each limper default. Then, around the time I was moving up to NL50, part of a post by fimbul recommended the same 6BB raise amount (until NL100 or NL200 I think it was), so I've just stuck with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your PFR %?