Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 11:49 PM

Default All in 1st Hand

Pokerstarts $5+0.50 27 player SNG.
1st hand. All players start with 1500. Blinds 10-20

Hero is UTG, dealt Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop: Hero raises to 80, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 goes all in, folds to hero. Hero?

Thanks for listening.
-jazz
Old 10-01-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: All in 1st Hand

Call. Not many people play AA or KK this strongly and there are a lot of bad players still in at the start of a small buyin SnG. I would say a good percentage of the time villain has a smaller pocket pair.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Call. Not many people play AA or KK this strongly and there are a lot of incredibly bad players still in at the start of a small buyin SnG. I would say more than two thirds of the time villain has a smaller pocket pair, KJs, QTs or J9s.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2005, 03:04 AM

Calls with a sh1t eating grin as you probably win 80% of the time.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:08 AM

$5 buy-in you're probably in great position. If you do run into AA or KK that's too bad but with no read at a low buyin I think it's an easy call
Old 10-02-2005, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not many people play AA or KK this strongly and there are a lot of bad players still in at the start of a small buyin SnG.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with calling, but I wouldn't completely discount the possibility of AA/KK. I have encountered a fair number of (horrible) players who will just push all their good hands. Granted they are pushing a lot, but they don't discriminate against their strong hands. So just don't exclude AA/KK from whatever range you attribute to them.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:26 AM

This deserves a full discussion, if someone did this to you @ the WPT/WSOP event what would you do?

When you have a R1-2 how do you call a person who has previously all-inned with a much worse hand, or someone who just sat on the table of a 5+1/or a micro?

Perplexing thoughts, i just fold now :\
Old 10-02-2005, 03:40 AM

I was in this exact position last night in a $1 MTT with QQ. Maybe 5th hand in was the only difference. The other difference was that I just pushed all in UTG. I normally never do this. However, I have seen many players in these low buyins willing to go all in with ridiculous stuff like 44 and A2o and figured I might get an easy double up. I was wrong this time. I got called by AA and KK.

Pushing was probably stupid on my part here. But I agree with the other posters that this is worth calling in these low buyins. At least in the 1 and 2 buck MTT's it is usually all in lunacy for the first 15 minutes and I'm calling with AA-QQ and AK.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This deserves a full discussion, if someone did this to you @ the WPT/WSOP event what would you do?

When you have a R1-2 how do you call a person who has previously all-inned with a much worse hand, or someone who just sat on the table of a 5+1/or a micro?

Perplexing thoughts, i just fold now :\

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, this isn't a WSOP/WPT event.. so don't treat it like one... you call this. Stacks aren't that deep, and this guuy is a tool and he most often you're winning here... this is a call..
Old 10-02-2005, 03:46 AM

I just despise this choice:

Tournament Life as a Coinflip
vs.
Outskilling people later in the tourney

I'd like to think more times then not, i can go deeper into tournaments not calling pre-flop acid trips.