Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 09:58 AM

Default Pocket Aces Play

I'm not really sure if I was making a smart or anti-value move here.

1-2 limit HE 10-handed on Party in a relatively tight table. Preflop: folded around to 8th position who raises, 9th position re-raises, I'm on the button with Aces and just call.

Again, I'm not saying it was the right move but my justification for this is (assuming the blinds don't cold-call 2.5 and 2 more bets, which may be wrong): If the initial raiser caps, my hand is really well-concealed, and if he doesn't cap (which is what I expected), I plan to raise a bet that will surely come out on the flop before I act, or perhaps just call if I hit a set and raise the turn.

Thanks for reading. I'd sincerely appreciate the input.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Pocket Aces Play

Personally. I'd go ahead and cap it myself here, although I don't think the smooth-call of a 3-bet is a bad play. This is a classic pre-flop vs. post-flop equity decision - raising helps you get more pre-flop money in the pot, but will slow down action post-flop. If your opponents tend to call down too much no matter how much strenght you show, go ahead and raise now + tie them down to the pot. If they are thinking opponents, deception may be in order (although most smart opponents will recognize that smooth-calling a PF 3-bet means a strong hand anyways).
Old 05-25-2005, 12:44 PM

I lean towards capping due to the huge +EV pf esp 1/2. At a higher limit or tourney situation with smart, observant players it's a judgement call based upon their calling standards. If I see them raising with pps big or small then the deception value of course tilts this play to +EV.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:48 PM

Since the 8th seat raised and the 9th seat RERAISED, you may be able to expect a check from the 8th seat and a bet from the 9th seat on the flop, so you can raise and put the 8th seat to a 2 bet decision which may get you the chance to make him fold (if that's what you want). So, if you want to be able to protect your hand (which you should generally do at that level at Party :P), then the call on the pre-flop is a good idea to let you raise the 9th seat on the flop.
rhys
Old 05-25-2005, 02:04 PM

I completely agree with your play here...capping on Party Poker will make your opponents put you on a high pocket pair so you will either get no action post flop or get action if you are beaten.

Stas
www.empirerakeback.com
Old 05-26-2005, 11:01 AM

Personally I'd be more inclined to try this play if the blinds are loose and dumb enough that a call encourages them to play incorrect hands for 3 bets that they would've folded aginst a cap.

On the other hand if the blinds are thight (and even more so if you and the player in 9th are as well) a cap might make the original raiser fold if he was on a steal. Not sure if that is mathematically favorable though.

/Bjorn