Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 09:21 PM

Default From SSHE to HPFAP

This post started in relation to another existing thread -- but there's enough here that it might been construed as a hijack. So, I'm posting it seperately.

Nowadays, roughly when do limit games start to resemble the kind discussed in HPFAP versus the ones that motivated SSHE?

I realize that there isn't necessarily going to be an exact answer to this question (i.e., it'll vary depending on the game and where you play -- online vs. B&M, site compared to site, etc.), but certainly any insight would be much appreciated.

If it helps, I'm more specifically interested in the online games on Stars and Ultimate Bet (and to a certain extent, Party as well).

I'm also interested in B&M games, specifically those in the popular Las Vegas cardrooms (Bellagio, Mirage, etc.) and also those in the California Bay Area (e.g., Artichoke Joes, Lucky Chances, Bay 101, etc).
Old 11-06-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: From SSHE to HPFAP

My 2 cents.. 10/20 and below SSHE complete understanding should do you good in B&Ms... and same for online 3/6 and below.. anything above those you'll need HEPFAP and alot of 2+2 studying...

its important to note, no matter where you play you always need 2+2 studying.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:28 PM

I've found that more and more players are getting educated these days once you get to 2/4 and upwards. It's not the majority of people, but none the less you find that a number of the plays detailed in HEPFAP crop up.

Add to that a proliferation of people using resources similar to 2+2 forums.

You need to use the technics described in both books and I do find that there is a lot of cross over. Being armed with all the plays means that you are better equiped to choose the moment of when and how to play your hand. The make up of the players at a table should dictate this as well.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:45 PM

Just look at your table not the stakes your playing at. If your playing at a 1/2 where only 22% are seeing the flop can you really apply SSHE? Considering they think a tight game is 3-5 players pre-flop. If the game is loose and passive then follow SSHE. If its a tough game then go by HPFAP. Online, depends on the site you play, I think 1/2 and 2/4 at Pokerstars, Absolute, UB, and Empire skins (during bonus periods) are tight and challenging. But when you play at other sites like Pacific and Party or games that have like 40+% seeing the flop then you can apply SSHE because people play [censored]. Not sure how it relates to live games but just feel out your table and see what guidelines apply.